Athletes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lschhope111

Athletes

Postby lschhope111 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Being a Division 1 athlete sometimes means that your undergraduate gpa is negatively affected. Do admissions committees take this into consideration when reviewing your gpa?
Thanks,

rinkrat19

Re: Athletes

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Being a D-I athlete is a good soft, but it doesn't really make up for a GPA in any significant way. There are plenty of athletes who managed a high GPA.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Being a D-I athlete is a good soft, but it doesn't really make up for a GPA in any significant way. There are plenty of athletes who managed a high GPA.

+1

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Being a D-I athlete is a good soft, but it doesn't really make up for a GPA in any significant way. There are plenty of athletes who managed a high GPA.

Actually, at my undergrad, not only were there plenty of athletes who did well, but D-1 athletes got a lot of special academic assistance, including required personal tutoring if their GPAs dropped below a certain level. If I were an admissions officer, I would be skeptical of the claim that playing D-1 sports caused one's GPA to suffer significantly. That's not to say you couldn't possibly tell the story in a plausible way, just another perspective.

Even if they were willing to take sports responsibilities into account, though, it would only count as much as an upward grade trend or something like that. Maybe it would help you get off the bubble if they really wanted to admit you, but schools mostly care about your numbers to the extent that they influence the median numbers they have to report to the ABA. Soft factors are always going to be a secondary consideration.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Playing a revenue generating sport is probably one of the best softs you can get while in college, but it's still just a soft. 3.6 GPA kid > 3.4 GPA and college all-american

Yes they definitely do hurt your GPA a ton when you're missing classes to travel to games and your in-season day is dominated by practice, lifting, and film study -- but its the sacrifice made by playing

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Joining the low gpa/athlete bandwagon, sucks, but I don't regret it.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm

If I was an adcomm I would let low gpa high lsat athlete splitters in like mad, but I'm not an adcomm.

Props to anybody who played a revenue generating sport and even graduated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”