When should I retake and apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rabbitrun

When should I retake and apply?

Postby rabbitrun » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Right now I have a 165 and 167 and a 3.2. I know that it is insane to still think that I can break 170, but I really think I can. My PT range was around a 173-178 last time.

I feel pretty happy with some of my current target schools, but I would love to get a chance for Michigan, UT, and Vandy. Should I cram and retake in October or should I put it off and apply in December after the LSAT? By December I might also have better WE in a firm and something that might make a better PS.
Or, because of GPA floors, are Mich, UT, and Vandy out anyway? Do I need to just move on with my life?

Also, I am not planning on EDing. I apologize if this question has been asked hundreds of times.

francesfarmer

Re: When should I retake and apply?

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

rabbitrun wrote:Right now I have a 165 and 167 and a 3.2. I know that it is insane to still think that I can break 170, but I really think I can. My PT range was around a 173-178 last time.

I feel pretty happy with some of my current target schools, but I would love to get a chance for Michigan, UT, and Vandy. Should I cram and retake in October or should I put it off and apply in December after the LSAT? By December I might also have better WE in a firm and something that might make a better PS.
Or, because of GPA floors, are Mich, UT, and Vandy out anyway? Do I need to just move on with my life?

Also, I am not planning on EDing. I apologize if this question has been asked hundreds of times.

Break a 170. Do not apply late. Sit out this cycle and apply next September. Take the LSAT in February or June and REALLY prepare.

I retook when I had a 170, went up two points, and I have no regrets. I was PT-ing at 175-179 so don't expect to hit your PT scores.

Bibio

Postby Bibio » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I am in a similar situation. I am a non traditional applicant (36, married with 3 children). I was waitlisted at IU Bloomington and IUPUI this past season and never got in. Needless to say I was heartbroken and determined to make the incoming 2013 class. I had a 2.97 GPA in undergrad and a 150 LSAT score. I have been studying to retake the LSAT in October. My score is consistently between 155-160. I know the earlier you apply the better, but at the same time, if I can wait until December, I know the score will climb maybe 10 points. What should I do given all my circumstances? Wait until December and compete with a bigger number of applicants or dive in this October with the hope at scoring at least 160?
I am really thorn...please chime in.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Bibio wrote:I am in a similar situation. I am a non traditional applicant (36, married with 3 children). I was waitlisted at IU Bloomington and IUPUI this past season and never got in. Needless to say I was heartbroken and determined to make the incoming 2013 class. I had a 2.97 GPA in undergrad and a 150 LSAT score. I have been studying to retake the LSAT in October. My score is consistently between 155-160. I know the earlier you apply the better, but at the same time, if I can wait until December, I know the score will climb maybe 10 points. What should I do given all my circumstances? Wait until December and compete with a bigger number of applicants or dive in this October with the hope at scoring at least 160?
I am really thorn...please chime in.

You are already 36, so why not wait a little longer for greater payoff? If you really think you can improve that much, you are doing you and your family a huge disservice by not sitting take the LSAT in December or February and sitting out the cycle. Applying early makes a big difference. Check LSN or --LinkRemoved-- and see for yourself.

As anecdotal evidence, I applied in 2009-2010 with a 3.4 and a 170, and the best school I got into was Fordham with a WL at Georgetown. I applied in early January and it hurt me a lot. Admissions were at a peak level of competitiveness then, too, but my point still stands.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”