LORs: How Old Can They Be? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlaqBella

Silver

LORs: How Old Can They Be?

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

I have LORs dated as far back as 2005 in my LSAC profile. They are still listed on my profile and I hope that they remain there until I am ready to apply. Can anyone confirm if LSAC will keep LORs on file so long as I keep my profile active (ie renew and extend the 5 year limit through registering for an LSAT)?

Also, are sending LORs dated back from 2005 (2006 graduate) be accepted by most law schools?

BlaqBella

Silver

Re: LORs: How Old Can They Be?

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Okay, so I just got off the phone with LSAC (guess I should have done this before posting, huh? :lol:)...but for those wondering the same:

They keep everything in your file active up until expiration date of your profile no matter how dated your items (that includes letters of recommendations). Though each LSAC profile has a 5-year lifespan, they can be extended an extra 5 years every time you register for the LSAT. As such, everything in your file remains active.

HTH any other anal retentive persons like myself! :lol:

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm

BlaqBella wrote: Also, are sending LORs dated back from 2005 (2006 graduate) be accepted by most law schools?
I don't know whether or not schools place age limits on LORs. Even if they will accept them, it would be far preferable to have something more recent.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 am

Ti Malice wrote:
BlaqBella wrote: Also, are sending LORs dated back from 2005 (2006 graduate) be accepted by most law schools?
I don't know whether or not schools place age limits on LORs. Even if they will accept them, it would be far preferable to have something more recent.
Understood, however my LORs dated from 2005 are exclusively from professors (more applicable and reflects to the type of student I was then). I intend to send additional and most recent LORs from employers.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 pm

What I'm trying to get at is that you should find those professors and have them send in updated recommendations -- even if they only change the date.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Ti Malice wrote:What I'm trying to get at is that you should find those professors and have them send in updated recommendations -- even if they only change the date.
I don't think that's necessary by any means. IMHO, the 2005 dates reflects a more "current" recommendation compared to chasing professors years later, who more than likely would not have been able to recall details surrounding my activities and interactions with them.

I actually went to a forum with Deans from UMich, UChicago and UPenn and they all confirmed this preference.
Last edited by BlaqBella on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Ti Malice wrote:What I'm trying to get at is that you should find those professors and have them send in updated recommendations -- even if they only change the date.
I don't think that's necessary either.

Also, LORs are a miniscule part of the application game.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I'd say they aren't miniscule, but they definitely matter much less than GPA/LSAT. But I think they matter enough to get them updated.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 pm

darkarmour wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'd say they aren't miniscule, but they definitely matter much less than GPA/LSAT. But I think they matter enough to get them updated.
I mean, they're minuscule in the same sense that every soft factor is, right? For 99% of applicants, they're not going to make your app. They will only break your app if they're terrible (which will only happen if you force someone to write one or you ask a psychopath to write one). They're probably used primarily to distinguish between borderline candidates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I'd go out on a limb and say they are the least important part of your entire application packet, save for maybe your PS. They matter far less than your LSAT, GPA, resume, and criminal record (if any).

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 pm

How does it work if you apply and then add a 3rd LOR later? For example, my applications are just about ready so I want to send them in ASAP. However, my manager hasn't sent in my LOR yet. I expect him to do it by the end of sept but in case he doesn't get to it until early october, I want my application in and complete, if possible. Once LSAC receives the 3rd LOR, do I select which schools I want it to be sent?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:

It may not be necessary, but it looks better to have more recent letters in your file.

And your second statement may be true for most schools, but it's not really accurate for some of the top schools with smaller class sizes. It's definitely not true for YLS, SLS (OP's dream school), and Boalt. Possibly not for Chicago, either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”