worthwhile to visit schools before applying?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taf889

worthwhile to visit schools before applying?

Postby taf889 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am

I don't know if this will help admissions chances, and I was hoping to do visits only after I've narrowed it down to 3-4 schools. I'd rather not do it for all the schools i'm applying to. anyone know if a visit makes a difference with admissions chances? how do they know you've visited?

bp shinners

Re: worthwhile to visit schools before applying?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

taf889 wrote:I don't know if this will help admissions chances, and I was hoping to do visits only after I've narrowed it down to 3-4 schools. I'd rather not do it for all the schools i'm applying to. anyone know if a visit makes a difference with admissions chances? how do they know you've visited?

As far as admissions chances go, the bump will be extremely small, if it exists at all (and that's limited to making a good impression on the person from the admissions office with whom you speak while on campus; even then, it's unlikely to change anything).

However, I recommend everyone visit the schools to which they're applying. Atmosphere makes a huge difference in your law school experience, and you should really get a handle on what it's like to be at that school before applying.

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:40 pm

bp shinners wrote:
taf889 wrote:I don't know if this will help admissions chances, and I was hoping to do visits only after I've narrowed it down to 3-4 schools. I'd rather not do it for all the schools i'm applying to. anyone know if a visit makes a difference with admissions chances? how do they know you've visited?

As far as admissions chances go, the bump will be extremely small, if it exists at all (and that's limited to making a good impression on the person from the admissions office with whom you speak while on campus; even then, it's unlikely to change anything).

However, I recommend everyone visit the schools to which they're applying. Atmosphere makes a huge difference in your law school experience, and you should really get a handle on what it's like to be at that school before applying.

Will schools pay for you to visit after you are admitted? I figure some good schools are having trouble filling a class and this might be a way to sell the school.
Last edited by msquaredb on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 pm

msquaredb wrote:Will schools pay for you to visit after you are admitted? I figure some good schools are having trouble filling a class and this might be a way to seel the school.

While I'll rarely say never, I would not count on schools paying you to visit them, even after you're admitted.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 pm

bp shinners wrote:
msquaredb wrote:Will schools pay for you to visit after you are admitted? I figure some good schools are having trouble filling a class and this might be a way to seel the school.

While I'll rarely say never, I would not count on schools paying you to visit them, even after you're admitted.

My lawl school paid for the hotel reservation(s) for their accepted students days. We were on our own for airfare, though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”