I need advice; three options…Help guide me

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lock74

I need advice; three options…Help guide me

Postby Lock74 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:09 am

My situation is somewhat unique but I am not claiming to be a special snowflake. I am looking for guidance and advice on what people would do in my situation. I am currently playing a sport at a liberal arts school and I am on a full scholarship. I have a total of 5 years of full scholarship due to being redshirted last year. I am currently in my second year of college but I am a junior in the classroom and will be receiving my first degree next year. This will allow me to have two additional years of full scholarship (free school) to obtain another degree that would not count toward my LSAC GPA, which should be a 3.9. At this point in my life, I feel out of touch with my sport and honestly, it is not as enjoyable as it was in high school. In addition, the school that I am at is nothing special and is seriously a joke. I came to my school because it was free and I could continue playing while working towards law school. It is a means to an end. The fact that I am not enjoying my sport anymore and that I graduate next year has me evaluating what I should do. I currently believe that I have three options. I am open to all suggestions. If anything needs to be cleared up, please ask me.

1) Apply to law school this time next year and enroll the following year.
2) Receive my degree next year and make the commitment to get an additional degree(something useful) over the next two remaining years of my scholarship/eligibility.
3) Graduate next year, gain some work experience as a paralegal or any relevant field in law/business for a year, and then apply to law school the following year.

Which one of these options would you go with and why? Is there any option that I am overlooking? What should I do?

ps -My degree is in criminal justice/ public administration so my career prospects are seriously limited but I planned on going to law school throughout college and it has allowed me to carry a high GPA.

Pps- I have been studying for the LSAT over the past summer and lightly since returning to school. I average -2 in LG and -3 in RC but I have not really focused on LR yet but I believe I could be ready by Feb or June if I decide to.

uvabro

Re: I need advice; three options…Help guide me

Postby uvabro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 am

Lock74 wrote:My situation is somewhat unique but I am not claiming to be a special snowflake. I am looking for guidance and advice on what people would do in my situation. I am currently playing a sport at a liberal arts school and I am on a full scholarship. I have a total of 5 years of full scholarship due to being redshirted last year. I am currently in my second year of college but I am a junior in the classroom and will be receiving my first degree next year. This will allow me to have two additional years of full scholarship (free school) to obtain another degree that would not count toward my LSAC GPA, which should be a 3.9. At this point in my life, I feel out of touch with my sport and honestly, it is not as enjoyable as it was in high school. In addition, the school that I am at is nothing special and is seriously a joke. I came to my school because it was free and I could continue playing while working towards law school. It is a means to an end. The fact that I am not enjoying my sport anymore and that I graduate next year has me evaluating what I should do. I currently believe that I have three options. I am open to all suggestions. If anything needs to be cleared up, please ask me.

1) Apply to law school this time next year and enroll the following year.
2) Receive my degree next year and make the commitment to get an additional degree(something useful) over the next two remaining years of my scholarship/eligibility.
3) Graduate next year, gain some work experience as a paralegal or any relevant field in law/business for a year, and then apply to law school the following year.

Which one of these options would you go with and why? Is there any option that I am overlooking? What should I do?

ps -My degree is in criminal justice/ public administration so my career prospects are seriously limited but I planned on going to law school throughout college and it has allowed me to carry a high GPA.

Pps- I have been studying for the LSAT over the past summer and lightly since returning to school. I average -2 in LG and -3 in RC but I have not really focused on LR yet but I believe I could be ready by Feb or June if I decide to.

given these options, i would choose 2. based on my reading here, you seem to be unhappy to have to play a rigorous sport each day, and live under such heavy scheduling other people are doing for you. living as a paralegal would allow you to establish some useful skills and resume assistance, but long term I think the right move is to stay. You'll keep yourself in great shape without the pressure of needing to be the best, and can get a masters in something useful you can involve in law - maybe economics..... something more you could bring to the table. if you're interested in IP law, maybe you'll get a shot a science background and its free. I've always found the real world more fun than school, but you have much more time to be there than you do to get free school.

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks uvabro. The degrees I am looking at are a MBA or MSP (Masters in Public Service). There are not many worthwhile masters degrees besides those two (hence the shitty liberal arts school). The IP background is something I have considered and we actually do have a strong biology and biochem department. I was also thinking of computer science since I have always been interested in computers and it is a good additional degree that could open up several doors. It is hard knowing that I would have to be at this school for 5 years, which is a good distance from home and not very fulfilling. The two additional years is a large time investment in my eyes and I wonder if the additional degree would even outperform the possibility of relevant work experience.

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Bump. Any other opinions?

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:59 pm

I ditto option 2... but I also enjoy being in school. :lol:

Plus, if you haven't really worked on LR, you'll need to make sure you have plenty of time (sounds like your schedule is packed, no?). LR = 50% of your LSAT score.

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Yes, my schedule is definitely packed and will be for the next several months. My diagnostic on LR was around -6 to -8 so with the LRB and MLR plus drilling I should be okay with enough time. I am also being pushed towards option 2 from other directions. I am still curious about people’s opinion about an additional degree vs work experience

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 am

work experience is good to have because it makes more of a man out of you, but what kind of work experience? what are u being paid?, is it impressive?, are the girls there as cute as college girls? i lived in the real world for several years started out poor with no financial support or job, wound up making around 50k and it was cool to be able to see something i liked and just buy it for myself. but i became less fun in the process, and socially it isn't as fun as school where you're surrounded by like minded people around your iq level.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I guess option 3 wouldn't be a terrible idea. If you use that time to gain some interesting work experience, AND hardcore prep for LSAT, you'd be fine. I'm just a fan of free education. 8)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”