"Project assistant" job after UG

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

"Project assistant" job after UG

Postby T14hoping » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm

If someone is dead set on going to law school and becoming an attorney, does it behoove them to seek some professional experience with a law firm in between undergrad and law school?

For what it's worth, I have to find some kind of employment for the 1-2 years after I graduate UG, but before I attend law school (presuming I do attend law school). I'm on track to graduate UG this coming spring.

I was going through job listings and found something for a "project assistant" at Kirkland Chicago. Would this kind of work be good for someone who would also be prepping hard for the LSAT? I know that it involves a 1-2 year commitment or something along those lines. I'm not even sure if I could get the job. I have a ~4.0 from a flagship public school in the Midwest, but something tells me that the big firms in Chicago are hiring Ivy grads or UChi/Northwestern grads for these "project assistant" jobs.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this or something similar? I'm really just going through ideas right now.

Re: "Project assistant" job after UG

Postby collegebum1989 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Your post is a bit confusing since it's not clear what you are asking. For law school admissions, work experience will help you for certain schools such as NW, but admission chances will still be majorly dictated by your numbers.

Work experience helps you indirectly though. For example, you will have more substantial experiences to discuss in your application essays and even during on-campus interviews when you are in law school. These experiences will also help you learn to manage work-life schedule, build professional networks, etc.

While legal experience is a plus, it doesn't necessarily help you directly in your applications and/or during interviews. Again, it indirectly helps you because you get exposed to the environment early and provides you with experiences to discuss during interviews.

Law School Admissions is still a numbers game though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”