Why law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tbird

Why law?

Postby tbird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 am

I was working on my ps with a very knowledgable lady who has helped hundreds of people with statements. She instructed me to get deep into my brain and answer the question "why law?". She said if I don't have a strong answer to that question, and as to why I absolutely must attend law school or I will never be happy in life, then perhaps I should not attend.

I told her I wanted a lot of interpersonal interraction with clients. She said you can get that in tons of other careers with a lot less time and money spent. So my question to some fellow tlsers is why do you want to go to law school? How do you answer that question? Are some people inherently interested in the laws of our country and the rights we all have? Or is it typically about the pay and prestige that once existed? What are the big reasons?

drmguy

Re: Why law?

Postby drmguy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:34 am

Admissions officers love to see your desire to make lots of money.

Bgibbs

Postby Bgibbs » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:56 am

A lot of people get into law because they took a useless liberal arts major in college and have only limited job prospects, and certainly nothing close to the career path or earning potential of a big law attorney.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Bgibbs wrote:A lot of people get into law because they took a useless liberal arts major in college and have only limited job prospects, and certainly nothing close to the career path or earning potential of a big law attorney.

Which is why lawyer is one of the unhappiest professions.

To OP - working at a law firm is an intense job. It requires a LOT of time, a LOT of stress, and a very specific personality to enjoy the work. If you don't have something to carry you through the downsides, you're going to burn out quickly. The attrition rate is ridiculous because of this.

tbird

Postby tbird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much. I had always considered law school my only plan. But right now as I'm meeting attorneys and contemplating what the real work will be like, taking my Cheme degree and getting a job right out of school is looking favorable. I am now thinking no debt, a few years of WE as an engineer, and then applying to a top MBA program that I might get paid for might be a better path.

Still not completely sure, but I am afraid patent prosecution might be really boring and tedious.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”