Legal Sector Lost Another 1400 Jobs between July and August Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NoJob

Bronze

Legal Sector Lost Another 1400 Jobs between July and August

Post by NoJob » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:16 am

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

So, 0Ls why go six figures into non-dischargeable debt to join this supersaturated, contracting field?

gaud

Platinum

Re: Legal Sector Lost Another 1400 Jobs between July and August

Post by gaud » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am

dat preftige

canarykb

Bronze

Post by canarykb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 am

Shouldn't this be in the RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 am

Because I'm not going into six figures of debt to do it.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Because I'm not going into six figures of debt to do it.
Don't tell him our secret

ETA: I like your new 'tar

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:39 am

gaud wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Because I'm not going into six figures of debt to do it.
Don't tell him our secret

ETA: I like your new 'tar
Thanks brah.

OP, you can ignore what I said. It never happened.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Financial sector,goverment sector,health care sector and educational sector are sucking the country cry..

Here are the solutions.

1. Financial sector first.
Stop subsidizing wall street banks with cheap fed money and let them fail. That would free up trillions of dollars
2. Goverment sector.
neet to be cut to at least Clinton levels to the point where we can have a surplus and than we can cut taxes for lower class people and even rich people.
3. Health care sector = stop subsidising the health insurance industry!! separate employment from health care insurance. Doing those two would lead to a major collapse in costs. WE would buy health care insurance the same we buy car insurance.. For CHEAP.
4. Educational sector is easy. Abolish all subisidy, all pell grants, all Guranteed student loans(this is the main reason tution is so expensive) and tutions would collapse over night because without student loans NO ONE could affort to go. Trillions of dollars freed up.

Allow the interest to rise to its natural levels and allow deflation to occur everwhere(prices, wages)..

if we do this we will have a recovery.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:16 pm

zman wrote: 4. Educational sector is easy. Abolish all subisidy, all pell grants, all Guranteed student loans(this is the main reason tution is so expensive) and tutions would collapse over night because without student loans NO ONE could affort to go. Trillions of dollars freed up.
is it that easy? wouldnt private lenders continue offering student loans, only at much higher interest rates to compensate for added risk?

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 pm

NoJob wrote:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

So, 0Ls why go six figures into non-dischargeable debt to join this supersaturated, contracting field?
It has been going back and forth for awhile every month. Last month, the legal sector added some jobs, then it lost them this month again. I won't be surprised if there is some weak growth next month again. This is not just the legal sector though. The entire economy is in this situation right now. We have been spinning our wheels for what seems like for fucking ever. Did you not see the job data today? This whole week people were talking about how Romneyites would be hoping for a weak 100,000 or so to make Obama look bad. Then, just yesterday, all the media outlets were talking about how, "ZOMG, it might actually be better than expected at 160,000"! And, today, we have officially 96,000 in August L.O.L Anytime I hear anybody expressing an opinion at this point, I just ignore it because I realize I am about to be doused in a bunch of verbal diarrhea.

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArticl ... 2570521518
Last edited by SuperCerealBrah on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Voltaire_X

New

Post by Voltaire_X » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:31 pm

zman wrote: 4. Educational sector is easy. Abolish all subisidy, all pell grants, all Guranteed student loans(this is the main reason tution is so expensive) and tutions would collapse over night because without student loans NO ONE could affort to go. Trillions of dollars freed up.

This is totally the wrong approach. Colleges need massive cost cutting. Given that everything taught at the undergrad. level can be learned for $1.50 in late fees at the public library, this shouldn't be too hard. Things like EdX have the right approach, but legitimate degrees need to be given. College shouldn't cost more than $1k a semester. Massive cuts to administration, among other things, could easily lower the cost of attendance. Automation is the future.

Also tuition money should not go into propping up sports programs and whatnot.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
is it that easy? wouldnt private lenders continue offering student loans, only at much higher interest rates to compensate for added risk?

No. Banks wouldn't lend to 22 year old kids with no collateral.. but they do with a goverment guarantee. You know banks are interested in getting paid. and also of course you have to let people default on their debt(that would really discourage banks from lending all this money to kids). there is no chance banks lend would this money to kids without a goverment guarantee. and of course higher interest rate would drive prices down, lower ones keep high.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 pm

zman wrote: No. Banks wouldn't lend to 22 year old kids with no collateral.. but they do with a goverment guarantee. You know banks are interested in getting paid. and also of course you have to let people default on their debt(that would really discourage banks from lending all this money to kids). there is no chance banks lend would this money to kids without a goverment guarantee. and of course higher interest rate would drive prices down, lower ones keep high.
I think you are mistaken. Lenders make unsecured loans all the time. Private student loans are not guaranteed by the federal government, it's just that they are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Lots of parents are already willing to co-sign on private loans, I'm sure there are plenty of them stupid enough to continue doing so into the future.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Voltaire_X wrote:

This is totally the wrong approach. Colleges need massive cost cutting. Given that everything taught at the undergrad. level can be learned for $1.50 in late fees at the public library, this shouldn't be too hard. Things like EdX have the right approach, but legitimate degrees need to be given. College shouldn't cost more than $1k a semester. Massive cuts to administration, among other things, could easily lower the cost of attendance. Automation is the future.

"College shouldn't cost more than $1k a semester"

They wouldn't if the policies I wrote above were put in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 pm

LOL at this fucking thread

Voltaire_X

New

Post by Voltaire_X » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 pm

zman wrote:
Voltaire_X wrote:

Yeah right. If anything it would just widen the gap between top privates and public schools. People would still pay $40k+ a year for the top privates.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Voltaire_X wrote:
zman wrote:
Voltaire_X wrote:

Yeah right. If anything it would just widen the gap between top privates and public schools. People would still pay $40k+ a year for the top privates.
how?? With whose money?? There is no money to bid up college tutions with.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 pm

zman wrote:
Voltaire_X wrote: Yeah right. If anything it would just widen the gap between top privates and public schools. People would still pay $40k+ a year for the top privates.
i guess that explains why private high schools are so inexpensive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:56 pm

fatduck wrote:
zman wrote:
Voltaire_X wrote: Yeah right. If anything it would just widen the gap between top privates and public schools. People would still pay $40k+ a year for the top privates.
they are expensive because the goverment is extending easy credit, the same reason housing prices were skyrocketing between 2001-2007. if there is no guaranteed loan, there is no money to bid up tutions with.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm

zman wrote:
fatduck wrote:
zman wrote:
they are expensive because the goverment is extending easy credit, the same reason housing prices were skyrocketing between 2001-2007. if there is no guaranteed loan, there is no money to bid up tutions with.
oh totally, when i send my kids to catholic school i'm putting that shit right on my obama credit card.

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 pm

zman wrote:
fatduck wrote:
zman wrote:
LOL parents are not taking out government loans to send their kids to private high schools

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 pm

SuperCerealBrah wrote:LOL parents are not taking out government loans to send their kids to private high schools
How can you be so sure? I bet some parents have done it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:01 am

zman wrote:Financial sector,goverment sector,health care sector and educational sector are sucking the country cry..

Here are the solutions.

1. Financial sector first.
Stop subsidizing wall street banks with cheap fed money and let them fail. That would free up trillions of dollars
2. Goverment sector.
neet to be cut to at least Clinton levels to the point where we can have a surplus and than we can cut taxes for lower class people and even rich people.
3. Health care sector = stop subsidising the health insurance industry!! separate employment from health care insurance. Doing those two would lead to a major collapse in costs. WE would buy health care insurance the same we buy car insurance.. For CHEAP.
4. Educational sector is easy. Abolish all subisidy, all pell grants, all Guranteed student loans(this is the main reason tution is so expensive) and tutions would collapse over night because without student loans NO ONE could affort to go. Trillions of dollars freed up.

Allow the interest to rise to its natural levels and allow deflation to occur everwhere(prices, wages)..

if we do this we will have a recovery.
Entirety of this post brought to you by The Heritage Foundation.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
SuperCerealBrah wrote:LOL parents are not taking out government loans to send their kids to private high schools
How can you be so sure? I bet some parents have done it.
You can't get government loans for private schools. However most schools have some version of a payment plan. The government doesn't make loans for high school.

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:01 pm

SuperCerealBrah wrote:
NoJob wrote:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArticl ... 2570521518

Pain LOL at the pop-up ad for e-discovery services i got when clicking on that link

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Voltaire_X wrote:

This is THE TRUTH and not an exaggeration at all.

And not paraphrased from Good Will Hunting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”