Arrested...again

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Easy-E

Re: Arrested...again

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:00 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Paulina is a cunt. But a $100 says this was NB and as much as it sucks OP you just gotta get punked out and walk away. Or only go out with friends who will fight for you.

NB?

And yeah, should have just let it go. Fight was all but broken up when one kid gives me a shove and a vague threat. Again, should have just walked, but instead I knock him to the ground and go after him. Two of his friends jump in, my friends jump in to pull them off, when the cop shows up I'm on top of the first kid, all of us get arrested. I don't know if there's any argument for self defense (I doubt it since I responded to a shove with a punch), but regardless, it seems like it'd be easier to pay and move on.

When I was attending orientation, the head C&F guy said it's not necessarily about the crime, it's about showing bad judgment. I would advise against going into this much detail about your decision making leading up to the fight, if you can avoid it, as you clearly showed poor judgment.

I've been keeping it to just the facts for my C&F so far. Just what, when, where, and how it was resolved (fines or if it was dismissed, etc).

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Paulina is a cunt. But a $100 says this was NB and as much as it sucks OP you just gotta get punked out and walk away. Or only go out with friends who will fight for you.

It's so much easier to not drive drunk than it is to walk away from some ass, or from an ass for that matter

I live where the Jersey Shore is filmed as well, so imagine how difficult it is to walk away from one of those types.

Oh I was assuming New Brunswick, Seaside is prob. worse because of the greater amounts of steroids.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:44 pm

you have pretty good numbers, right? just apply EVERYWHERE. someone will take you.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

It's so much easier to not drive drunk than it is to walk away from some ass, or from an ass for that matter

I live where the Jersey Shore is filmed as well, so imagine how difficult it is to walk away from one of those types.

Oh I was assuming New Brunswick, Seaside is prob. worse because of the greater amounts of steroids.

It's painful. Labor Day Weekend is usually awesome because it marks their departure, though obviously this one was marred.

fatduck wrote:you have pretty good numbers, right? just apply EVERYWHERE. someone will take you.

3.1 169, so decent I guess, though that GPA is probably gonna haunt me the rest of my life. I'm probably going to end up going with the minimal debt route, as I have a pretty solid number of connections in the area.

As far as seeing about how it will affect bar eligibility, should I just call or e-mail each state's bar association? Sounds like a few people think I might be counted out of some places.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:56 am

emarxnj wrote:As far as seeing about how it will affect bar eligibility, should I just call or e-mail each state's bar association? Sounds like a few people think I might be counted out of some places.

I would give them a call.

THIS IS COMPLETELY ANECDOTAL, NON-LEGAL ADVICE. I know many, many people who have arrests for fights on their record. Some convictions. Some pleas. They are now admitted in NY and CA, and probably some other states as well. Don't worry about this until you have concrete evidence from someone who knows what they're talking about saying that you should worry about it.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 am

bp shinners wrote:
emarxnj wrote:As far as seeing about how it will affect bar eligibility, should I just call or e-mail each state's bar association? Sounds like a few people think I might be counted out of some places.

I would give them a call.

THIS IS COMPLETELY ANECDOTAL, NON-LEGAL ADVICE. I know many, many people who have arrests for fights on their record. Some convictions. Some pleas. They are now admitted in NY and CA, and probably some other states as well. Don't worry about this until you have concrete evidence from someone who knows what they're talking about saying that you should worry about it.

Thanks for the info BP.

I know no one on here will (or should) give me any real legal advice, but does it make any difference that my name and DOB are both incorrect on the summons with no license # included? Or is this just a fairly normal screw-up?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 am

You're prob. gonna get this dropped to a borough ordinance and just pay a big fine. I wouldn't worry too much. Name and DOB mixup isn't going to help you.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Mike12188 wrote:You're prob. gonna get this dropped to a borough ordinance and just pay a big fine. I wouldn't worry too much. Name and DOB mixup isn't going to help you.

Yeah, spoke a cop buddy of mine, he said social is generally enough. Guess we'll see in an hour. Thee days is an oddly short period between arrest and court date though, no?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:05 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:You're prob. gonna get this dropped to a borough ordinance and just pay a big fine. I wouldn't worry too much. Name and DOB mixup isn't going to help you.

Yeah, spoke a cop buddy of mine, he said social is generally enough. Guess we'll see in an hour. Thee days is an oddly short period between arrest and court date though, no?

Just man up to the prosecutor and dress appropriately. I'm sure he'll be happy to see someone not wearing true religion jeans and who can put a coherent sentence together.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Just man up to the prosecutor and dress appropriately. I'm sure he'll be happy to see someone not wearing true religion jeans and who can put a coherent sentence together.

Yeah I've got my work clothes on (khakis, polo, oxfords). I've worn a suit before but I feel like end up looking like an asshole when I'm out of there in 2 minutes.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Swimp wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
EllaLemry wrote:
Don't beat yourself up.

YOu should definitely beat yourself up. You're a moron and shouldn't be in this profession.

Why did you post this?

To remind me why she is the only person on TLS who I have on ignore.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Swimp wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
EllaLemry wrote:
Don't beat yourself up.

YOu should definitely beat yourself up. You're a moron and shouldn't be in this profession.

Why did you post this?

To remind me why she is the only person on TLS who I have on ignore.

Someones never encountered BearsGrl :mrgreen:

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I think it's ironic that TLS jumps all over posters who think they are special snowflakes in that they will get into a school they have no shot at or eventually get a job after attending a school that has poor job prospects yet people in this thread were yelled down for assuming the OP was just your typical douchebag screw up just because they don't know him or they weren't there. Personally I have never known someone who had been repeatedly arrested who wasn't stupid and immature at best or just a straight up bad seed at worse. One fight is no big deal but repeated arrests? Repeated court dates? Seems like red flags to me.

All that said I acknowledge that I do not know anything about the OP so maybe he is a special snowflake after all and just a good, intelligent, upstanding young man caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time, repeatedly.

OP, personally I think maybe you should take a step back and consider law school in a couple years. Your LSAT score is good but to this point you have proven that you can't cut it in school or avoid getting in trouble with the law. Does that sound like a good potential law school applicant to you? Does that sound like a future Big Law associate? Why not take a step back, work for a few years, and most importantly mature and put all this behind you before trying to go down this path?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think it's ironic that TLS jumps all over posters who think they are special snowflakes in that they will get into a school they have no shot at or eventually get a job after attending a school that has poor job prospects yet people in this thread were yelled down for assuming the OP was just your typical douchebag screw up just because they don't know him or they weren't there. Personally I have never known someone who had been repeatedly arrested who wasn't stupid and immature at best or just a straight up bad seed at worse. One fight is no big deal but repeated arrests? Repeated court dates? Seems like red flags to me.

All that said I acknowledge that I do not know anything about the OP so maybe he is a special snowflake after all and just a good, intelligent, upstanding young man caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time, repeatedly.

OP, personally I think maybe you should take a step back and consider law school in a couple years. Your LSAT score is good but to this point you have proven that you can't cut it in school or avoid getting in trouble with the law. Does that sound like a good potential law school applicant to you? Does that sound like a future Big Law associate? Why not take a step back, work for a few years, and most importantly mature and put all this behind you before trying to go down this path?

I never said the other problems were fights. Underage drinking stuff, underage possession of alcohol, etc. No other disorderly conduct stuff. I've been without incident since turning 21 actually (24 now). I do appreciate your honesty though, and the thought of taking another year off has crossed my mind, though I'm worried if I stay on that path I'll never feel like going back to school and just staying at my current job.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
EllaLemry wrote:
Don't beat yourself up.

Nice to see another prospective prosecutor on these boards.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think it's ironic that TLS jumps all over posters who think they are special snowflakes in that they will get into a school they have no shot at or eventually get a job after attending a school that has poor job prospects yet people in this thread were yelled down for assuming the OP was just your typical douchebag screw up just because they don't know him or they weren't there. Personally I have never known someone who had been repeatedly arrested who wasn't stupid and immature at best or just a straight up bad seed at worse. One fight is no big deal but repeated arrests? Repeated court dates? Seems like red flags to me.

Listen to yourself. You find this strange? :shock:

Some of you need to go live life and stop living behind a computer screen. Nobody is saying that OP is a great guy or upstanding citizen. He messed up. Bad. Numerous times. However, not kicking a man while he's down is something you're supposed to learn as a child.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:05 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:

Some of you need to go live life and stop living behind a computer screen. Nobody is saying that OP is a great guy or upstanding citizen. He messed up. Bad. Numerous times. However, not kicking a man while he's down is something you're supposed to learn as a child.

I never called OP a douchebag. I said other people assumed he was and got chastised for it. A poor choice of words on my part but I had the image of someone being pummeled on the Jersey shore in my head and I couldn't think of a better word.

What I did say was that everyone I've known with repeated run ins with the law ran the spectrum from stupid and immature to bad seed. But I acknowledged that it's possible that the OP was a good guy caught up in a bad situation. Just like it's possible to go to a shit law school and hussle your way to models and bottles. Right?

And none of that has to do with the OP, just what I thought was silly about the TLS reaction to things.

My advice to the OP still stands, for what that's worth.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

I never called OP a douchebag. I said other people assumed he was and got chastised for it. A poor choice of words on my part but I had the image of someone being pummeled on the Jersey shore in my head and I couldn't think of a better word.

What I did say was that everyone I've known with repeated run ins with the law ran the spectrum from stupid and immature to bad seed. But I acknowledged that it's possible that the OP was a good guy caught up in a bad situation. Just like it's possible to go to a shit law school and hussle your way to models and bottles. Right?

And none of that has to do with the OP, just what I thought was silly about the TLS reaction to things.

Kick his ass, emarx

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

Stop trying to defend the fact that you defended people who made unwarranted assumptions calling a guy a "moron" and saying he "shouldn't be in this profession" when he got arrested for the first time in 4 years for a fight. That is wrong. There is no gray area here (You: "Well they don't know him so they could only assume he was a douchebag, right?"). :shock: Just think about that logic for a second.. that's even more of a reason to keep their smartass comments to themselves. The guy admitted he made mistakes and sought advice. [Side note: And your "special snowflake [goes to Yale]" analogy makes no sense]

Again, the point is: Why kick a man when he's down?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:models and bottles.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:46 pm

helix23 wrote:

lol nice tar.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
helix23 wrote:

lol nice tar.

I knew I recognized that mug. Considering two LSAT-waits, it's amazing it took me this long.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm

emarxnj wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
helix23 wrote:

lol nice tar.

I knew I recognized that mug. Considering two LSAT-waits, it's amazing it took me this long.

lol

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm

emarxnj wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
helix23 wrote:

lol nice tar.

I'm surprised I'm the first. I can't get over that they never change the picture. Next up is the blurry backpack bro.

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:12 pm

taf889 wrote:just say you have lots of experience with the law?

alternatively, you could describe it as something you,re struggling with and continuing to work on?

or, you could wait out till next year and say you've learned.

I think the second of the three is your best bet, but take it with a grain of salt as the devil is likely in the details

Bad idea. Schools don't want to recruit students that are currently struggling with mental disorders or conduct problems.

If your credentials are otherwise solid and the fees aren't an issue, you could still apply this year (drop the addendum); it's possible that you'll be admitted by a school who wants to pad their GPA/LSAT stats (my friend's entering class has a few intellectually brilliant bad apples). If losing your fee money would be a serious financial burden then cut your losses and apply after some time has passed.

That being said, I think your chances of succeeding in law school are pretty slim right now. LS is difficult, requires dedication, and is incredibly stressful. One incident like this could be the end of your time there, and if you're getting into trouble already, do you really think you can get back on track and deal with the rigors of LS at the same time?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”