Why Alma mater essay?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taf889

Why Alma mater essay?

Postby taf889 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Any thoughts on how to handle thi situation? Is the fact that you went there for undergrad enough to merit writing an essay?

Also, do you name people you know there (about six of my close friends are in attendance at the LS).

Thanks all.
Last edited by taf889 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Swimp

Re: Why [Alma mater] essay?

Postby Swimp » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I think your affection for your alma mater would probably warrant a significant mention.

And I don't know if I'd mention people's names (maybe others have a different opinion on that), but having a lot of friends at a given school could be a good thing. I think the deciding factor might have to do with your shot at this school. I'd definitely mention the friends if you're trying to avoid YP, or assure a target school that you really are interested. If the school is more of a reach, however, you might be missing an opportunity to sell yourself to the admissions officers.

bp shinners

Re: Why [Alma mater] essay?

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

taf889 wrote:Also, do you name people you know there (about six of my close friends are in attendance at the LS).

Definitely don't do this.

As far as writing a Why X? essay mentioning going there for undergrad, you certainly can. Just make sure that you also research the LS and have some compelling reasons to go there other than your affection for your time at the UG.

Ex Cearulo

Re: Why Alma mater essay?

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:18 pm

How about for a school being your alma mater but also because of extensive family ties?

For example, I'm considering writing a short addendum outlining the following: Both of my parents recieved undergrad degrees, my father graduated from their law school, I went there for undergrad, and my sister is currently a 2L at their law school. The school is also my number one choice due to in-state tuition and location reasons. Bottom line, it's not just another school or just another application for me.

What are everyone's opinions on writing a brief addendum for the above reasons? Worth it? Any chance it makes a difference, all else being equal?

-HD

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:38 pm

HawgDriver wrote:How about for a school being your alma mater but also because of extensive family ties?

For example, I'm considering writing a short addendum outlining the following: Both of my parents recieved undergrad degrees, my father graduated from their law school, I went there for undergrad, and my sister is currently a 2L at their law school. The school is also my number one choice due to in-state tuition and location reasons. Bottom line, it's not just another school or just another application for me.

What are everyone's opinions on writing a brief addendum for the above reasons? Worth it? Any chance it makes a difference, all else being equal?

-HD

Is it worth writing? yes
Will it make a difference? only if your numbers make you a borderline candidate to begin with

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:03 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:How about for a school being your alma mater but also because of extensive family ties?

-HD

Is it worth writing? yes
Will it make a difference? only if your numbers make you a borderline candidate to begin with

Agreed. And since my GPA is well below the median (slightly below the 25% even) and my practice LSATs are placing me right at the 50% median right now, I'm definitely a borderline candidate. So I'll take every bit of help I can get.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”