LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
netsfan05

LSAT

Postby netsfan05 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 pm

So as of right now I'm stuck in a predicament and I was hoping if anyone could give me some useful advice. At this moment, I'm averaging somewhere in the mid 140's and will be taking the exam in October. Assuming that nothing is going to interfere with my studying habits over the course of the month, is it possible for me to increase my score to a 160, or the upper 150's come test time? If not, I have no problem delaying the exam until December. The reason I am asking is because I want to do early decision for the university of maryland. I have at my disposal nearly 30 practice exams and have completed about 20 hours of private tutoring through powerscore. Now it's time to just take the practice exams on a continuous basis and cover all of the material that I got wrong. What do you suggest I do? How many exams should I take per week?

zoomzoom88

Re: LSAT

Postby zoomzoom88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm

netsfan05 wrote:So as of right now I'm stuck in a predicament and I was hoping if anyone could give me some useful advice. At this moment, I'm averaging somewhere in the mid 140's and will be taking the exam in October. Assuming that nothing is going to interfere with my studying habits over the course of the month, is it possible for me to increase my score to a 160, or the upper 150's come test time? If not, I have no problem delaying the exam until December. The reason I am asking is because I want to do early decision for the university of maryland. I have at my disposal nearly 30 practice exams and have completed about 20 hours of private tutoring through powerscore. Now it's time to just take the practice exams on a continuous basis and cover all of the material that I got wrong. What do you suggest I do? How many exams should I take per week?

you can absolutely bring this score up. I would order the official LSAC practice tests and work through 2 a week. Make sure you are drilling the different sections, identifying weak areas, noting what LR types you are missing and understanding the theory behind the different questions. If you are struggling with the games that can be fixed with practice more so than any other section. Grab the Games Bible and work through it.

PM me if you need more suggestions.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 pm

netsfan05 wrote:is it possible for me to increase my score to a 160, or the upper 150's come test time?

Absolutely! 140-160 range is typically what most course instructors will tell you is the "most improvable" score range. Agree with suggestion above. I'm not a test prep guru, but one of the most useful tips I learned was that you should be spending just as much time reviewing a practice test as taking one; helped me quite a lot investing that time in identifying and improving my weaknesses.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am

Seeing that kind of scoring jump in 4.5 weeks is possible, but it's certainly not likely. You can either assess where you are and make a decision just before the test rescheduling deadline, or, if you're okay with losing the money you paid to take the test, you can wait until as late as the day before the test to decide whether or not you will take it.

In any case, if you are not consistently scoring at or above your target score as test day approaches, there is no point in taking the test in October.

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I would definitely wait. Do even more tests. Take your time. I scored a 140 blind (practice test). 6 months and 40 tests later, I scored 167 consistently and tested at 164. You can do it. But don't be stupid and put your preferred adimissions cycle before your lsat score. You can wait a year to go to school. But you can't go backwards in time and change the school you went to.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am

I feel like you got robbed of your money if you spent 20 hours with a tutor and didn't break the mid 140s. Did you supplement those hours with lots of self-study? How did you use the time?

Do they have some sort of refund policy if you don't improve your score??

netsfan05

Postby netsfan05 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Well my reading comprehension skills are subpar, so it's difficult for me to handle some of the questions at a faster pace than most test takers. I'm working hard now and consistently scoring better. The only problem is I'm a slow learner so it takes a little longer for me.

netsfan05

Postby netsfan05 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Well I might be a late bloomer so I'm not counting myself out just yet

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”