LORs: 4 too many?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ramsey
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

LORs: 4 too many?

Postby Ramsey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Title says all. Would it be a good idea to submit all 4 LORs given my circumstances? I'm worried if I'm bombarding the adcom with too much writing to read (since I'm submitting DS and Addendum). At the same time, I think each of these letters is unique and will help adcom to get a better picture of me.


Any advice/anecdotes/comment would be greatly appreciated!

- Graduated in 2010 winter from mid-Ivy
- Been working for Gov't in home country

My recommenders are:

1) Senior Professor (one of my majors) - finished top 3 in his adv undergrad class (subject matter relevant to my chosen field of interest)

2) Adj Professor (Law) - finished top in her summer intro law class

3) Postdoc student instructor (non-major) - have reasons to believe that this is my strongest (and also most personal) recommendation. She even consulted my pre-law advisors to write me the best possible letter, and I believe she mentioned in it certain issues I plan on writing my PS on.

4) Director-level gov't official - must be excellent; a bit worried about syntactic issues (grammatical mistakes, awkward phrases, etc. as she is non-native)



Thank you for your wisdom in advance!
Last edited by Ramsey on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: LORs: 4 too many?

Postby Yardbird » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Ramsey wrote:Title says all. Would it be a good idea to submit all 4 LORs given my circumstances?
Any advice/anecdotes/comment would be greatly appreciated!

- Graduated in 2010 winter from mid-Ivy
- Been working for Gov't in home country

My recommenders are:

1) Senior Professor (one of my majors) - finished top 3 in his adv undergrad class (subject matter relevant to my chosen field of interest)

2) Adj Professor (Law) - finished top in her summer intro law class

3) Postdoc student instructor (non-major) - have reasons to believe that this is my strongest (and also most personal) recommendation. She even consulted my pre-law advisors to write me the best possible letter, and I believe she mentioned in it certain issues I plan on writing my PS on.

4) Director-level gov't official - must be excellent; a bit worried about syntactic issues (grammatical mistakes, awkward phrases, etc. as she is non-native)

I think each of them is unique and will help adcom understand me better, but I'm worried if 4 is too many (since I'm submitting DS and Addendum in addition to PS).

Thank you for your wisdom in advance!
Some schools won't accept more than 2 or 3. Check out the AppReqs spreadsheet to see which T35 schools will accept 4.

Ramsey
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: LORs: 4 too many?

Postby Ramsey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:25 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Some schools won't accept more than 2 or 3. Check out the AppReqs spreadsheet to see which T35 schools will accept 4.


@shadowofjazz, thanks for the tip. I will check out the AppReqs.
It seems that many of the schools I'm interested in applying accept up to 4 letters... but I'm just not sure if maxing out on the submission is a good idea in general.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: LORs: 4 too many?

Postby Yardbird » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Ramsey wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Some schools won't accept more than 2 or 3. Check out the AppReqs spreadsheet to see which T35 schools will accept 4.


@shadowofjazz, thanks for the tip. I will check out the AppReqs.
It seems that many of the schools I'm interested in applying accept up to 4 letters... but I'm just not sure if maxing out on the submission is a good idea in general.
Common wisdom would be to save one for later on in case you get WL'd.

Ramsey
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: LORs: 4 too many?

Postby Ramsey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Ramsey wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Some schools won't accept more than 2 or 3. Check out the AppReqs spreadsheet to see which T35 schools will accept 4.


@shadowofjazz, thanks for the tip. I will check out the AppReqs.
It seems that many of the schools I'm interested in applying accept up to 4 letters... but I'm just not sure if maxing out on the submission is a good idea in general.
Common wisdom would be to save one for later on in case you get WL'd.




oh that's a good point. Thanks for your help! :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests