admission decision vs financial aid dates

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pacifica

admission decision vs financial aid dates

Postby pacifica » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 am

Remedial question (and I probably know the answer to this, but wanted to double check):

FAFSA and Need Access are things that are usually filled out in the January 1st and March 1st period right? I know some schools offer $$ with the admissions decision, but you don't NEED to fill out financial aid info BEFORE an admissions decision can be rendered, correct?

I was slightly confused by the wording on the Google Docs AppReqs Tracker's financial aid tab, where the column heading says "in general, FAFSA/Need Access before admission".

Yardbird

Re: admission decision vs financial aid dates

Postby Yardbird » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:16 pm

pacifica wrote:Remedial question (and I probably know the answer to this, but wanted to double check):

FAFSA and Need Access are things that are usually filled out in the January 1st and March 1st period right? I know some schools offer $$ with the admissions decision, but you don't NEED to fill out financial aid info BEFORE an admissions decision can be rendered, correct?

I was slightly confused by the wording on the Google Docs AppReqs Tracker's financial aid tab, where the column heading says "in general, FAFSA/Need Access before admission".
Sorry, poorly worded. FAFSA/Need Access are available to submit before admission. School forms are usually only available after you are admitted and can access the admitted student resources. Will fix on the spreadsheet.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:17 pm

There might be some schools that want FAFSA and NeedAccess before they start giving out decisions, but I didn't personally run across any. Some schools will give out money with admissions, and some will do admissions first and money later. Keep in mind that FAFSA and NeedAccess determine financial need, and there is actually very little need-based aid in law school outside H/Y. Most schools either only give out merit-based, or call it a combined merit/need award but the amounts match up pretty exactly with what you'd expect from a person's merit.

Read the school's application requirements carefully, not just on LSAC but on the school website. For example, Northwestern doesn't require FAFSA and NeedAccess to give out admission decisions, but if you want to be considered for any money, they requre FAFSA and NeedAccess and the school's supplemental financial aid application (short essays). And much like admissions, NU considers scholarships on a rolling basis after the FinAid deadline, so waiting until March is a bad idea.

Short story: just get FAFSA and NeedAccess done as soon as you can after Jan 1.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:There might be some schools that want FAFSA and NeedAccess before they start giving out decisions, but I didn't personally run across any. Some schools will give out money with admissions, and some will do admissions first and money later. Keep in mind that FAFSA and NeedAccess determine financial need, and there is actually very little need-based aid in law school outside H/Y. Most schools either only give out merit-based, or call it a combined merit/need award but the amounts match up pretty exactly with what you'd expect from a person's merit.

Short story: just get FAFSA and NeedAccess done as soon as you can after Jan 1.

That's precisely how I thought the process worked as well, thanks for the confirmation!

shadowofjazz wrote:Sorry, poorly worded. FAFSA/Need Access are available to submit before admission. School forms are usually only available after you are admitted and can access the admitted student resources. Will fix on the spreadsheet.

And no worries, your spreadsheet has been a life saver! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”