Is it Possible to Defer Law School Admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ksllaw

Is it Possible to Defer Law School Admissions?

Postby ksllaw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 am

If accepted, has anyone heard of the possibility of deferring law school admissions (for a year)?

I know it's common with undergrad and even Ph.D. programs, but not sure of law school.

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks! :)

Huluba

Re: Is it Possible to Defer Law School Admissions?

Postby Huluba » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:02 am

Yes you can defer.

tnguy03

Postby tnguy03 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:02 am

Depends on the school. I was able to do it. Just ask. They may no at first, but if the class is oversubscribed then you can ask again to see if they will allow you to defer.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 am

tnguy03 wrote:Depends on the school. I was able to do it. Just ask. They may no at first, but if the class is oversubscribed then you can ask again to see if they will allow you to defer.

Given the application trends discussed here and elsewhere recently, it seems less likely that any given school is going to be facing the problem of being oversubscribed.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:19 am

I've only heard stories of schools gladly deferring. I deferred this year and the school had no problem with it. I'm retaking in October, reapplying, and I have the peace of mind of already having an acceptance in my pocket (albeit at a state school) in case worse comes to worst.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 am

buddytyler wrote:I've only heard stories of schools gladly deferring. I deferred this year and the school had no problem with it. I'm retaking in October, reapplying, and I have the peace of mind of already having an acceptance in my pocket (albeit at a state school) in case worse comes to worst.

before you go ahead and do that.. i would double check your deferment to make sure that you are not forced to go to that school. If you are going to re take and re apply, why dont you just say no thanks, then apply fresh this cycle ( schools do not care that much). Otherwise, you may be foreced to go to that school next year ( and retaking is pointless)

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:31 pm

I appreciate it guys. Easily answered my question.

As a final follow-up, I did want to ask, however, whether the request for deferment is something that needs to be a highly persuasive statement/essay or just a non-chalant sort of request (w/o even requiring a compelling reason)...In short, do we need to really sell our case for deferment or just ask and it will be granted? :mrgreen:

Thanks one last time!

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm

ksllaw wrote:I appreciate it guys. Easily answered my question.

As a final follow-up, I did want to ask, however, whether the request for deferment is something that needs to be a highly persuasive statement/essay or just a non-chalant sort of request (w/o even requiring a compelling reason)...In short, do we need to really sell our case for deferment or just ask and it will be granted? :mrgreen:

Thanks one last time!

It depends on the school. Some are more Leinant than others. Some schools will want a concrete reason for you leaving (such as a one year fellowship) and some just need a request in writing by a certain date.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”