Margins and font

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Woods

Margins and font

Postby Woods » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 am

Do all essays must use 1inch margin? Would it work against me if I use smaller margins in order to make the essay within 2-page limit?

The font should be 12? Or is 11 okay as well?

Thanks!

padawanphil

Re: Margins and font

Postby padawanphil » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:30 am

Do what your professor said. If they didn't say anything I'd say Courier New, 12 point font. HTH

Woods

Postby Woods » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:39 am

padawanphil wrote:Do what your professor said. If they didn't say anything I'd say Courier New, 12 point font. HTH

Professor? I'm thinking about how ad coms would view this.

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:53 am

:oops:

I sent mine in Times New Roman, but I don't remember whether that mattered or not. I'd recommend staying within the page limit without doing something that's going to make your paper stand out in a bad way/look weird. You should be able to cut some words/sentences out that will help you get under 2 pages though. Think of all the times you wrote "that" when you didn't need to, etc.

If you really can't get it under 2 pages from there use the search function at the bottom because I remember looking through that when I was in your shoes and finding it useful.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

11-pt. font is generally OK as long as the school doesn't specifically mention 12-pt. font in their prompt. When in doubt, call the office up.

Don't mess with the 1-inch margins.

Also, you can probably get it under 2 pages if you try hard. And it'll probably be a stronger essay for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”