PENN CHANGED THEIR OPTIONAL ESSAYS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

PENN CHANGED THEIR OPTIONAL ESSAYS

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:43 pm

So sad :(

top30man

Silver

Re: PENN CHANGED THEIR OPTIONAL ESSAYS

Post by top30man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:56 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:So sad :(
To what?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 pm

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Since OP is too lazy to check back:
Penn Law wrote:Optional Essays
If you wish, you may write an additional essay on any of the following topics. These optional essays allow you an opportunity to provide the admissions committee with additional relevant information that you were not able to include in your personal statement. Please include the essay with your application by electronically attaching it to your application before submission through LSAC. You may answer more than one essay topic if you so choose. Include your name and LSAC account number on each page. Please limit any optional essay to one page, double spaced and title it appropriately.
• Describe how your background or experiences will enhance the diversity of the Penn Law community (e.g., based on your culture, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ideology, age, socioeconomic status, academic background, employment, or personal experience).
• Dean Michael A. Fitts has highlighted the core strengths that make Penn Law the best place to receive a rigorous and engaging legal education: genuine integration with associated disciplines; transformative, forward-looking faculty scholarship; highly-regarded experiential learning through urban clinics and our pro bono pledge; innovative, hands-on global engagement; and a manifest commitment to professional development and collegiality. These are the qualities that define Penn Law. What defines you? How do your goals and values match Penn Law’s core strengths?
• Describe a time when, as a member of a team, you particularly excelled or were especially frustrated. What was your role within that team? What was the outcome?
• If you do not think that your academic record or standardized test scores accurately reflect your ability to succeed in law school, please tell us why.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 pm

do you have to answer the prompt explicitly in the essay? For example, Dean's essay asks you to represent an ideology that defines you. So in your essay would you have to directly say "I will contribute to Penn Law by...."

Or is it ok to write an essay which implicitly answers all of the questions through an experience without specifically referring the prompt itself?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:23 pm

So does this mean there is no "Why Penn" essay? Or is one of these prompts known as the "Why Penn"?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Woods

New

Post by Woods » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:38 am

slack_academic wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:So does this mean there is no "Why Penn" essay? Or is one of these prompts known as the "Why Penn"?
The one asking "what defines you" after noting all of Penn's strengths is pretty much a "Why Penn" statement. It's asking you to demonstrate you're a good fit for Penn and vice versa.
But do we have to answer to question " what defines you"

jp2013

New

Post by jp2013 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:28 am

I did. It's my assumption that if they're asking the question they probably want an answer to it. If they just wanted a "Why Penn" why would they change the prompt?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 pm

I read it as requiring you to define yourself/character/traits and why it fits Penn Law. I like this prompt much better than the 5-year vision. This community is pretty special, if someone has a good fit, I think they should be seriously considered. In other words, you should definitely write this essay. It may not add to your app, but it may hurt a bit if you skip it.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:56 pm

slack_academic wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:So does this mean there is no "Why Penn" essay? Or is one of these prompts known as the "Why Penn"?
The one asking "what defines you" after noting all of Penn's strengths is pretty much a "Why Penn" statement. It's asking you to demonstrate you're a good fit for Penn and vice versa.

Agree with this. Not too far of a stretch to change a Why Penn essay to this current prompt, especially since the dean mentioned multiple strengths of Penn Law. I personally fit my original Why Penn essay (b/c I assumed there'd be one) under a thesis highlighting a few of those listed strength and it related just fine.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am

When I visited, I asked an admissions officer: "I've heard that particularly for Penn it's a good idea to express in the application why you are especially drawn to Penn. This year, there's no explicit Why Penn essay. It would be possible to incorporate reasons for a particular interest in Penn into one of the essays; should I do that?"
She said something along the lines of: "Sure, you could do that, or you can always submit an addendum if there's something you think would be helpful for the committee to know."
FWIW

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”