CAS (Credential assembly service) validity Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmjm

Bronze

CAS (Credential assembly service) validity

Post by jmjm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 am

In order to have my foreign transcripts evaluated I have to buy CAS. Would I need to purchase CAS again if I do not apply this application year?

(US permanent resident, International Undergrad, LSAT: not taken/not registered yet)

vpintz

Silver

Re: CAS (Credential assembly service) validity

Post by vpintz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:10 am

jmjm wrote:In order to have my foreign transcripts evaluated I have to buy CAS. Would I need to purchase CAS again if I do not apply this application year?

(US permanent resident, International Undergrad, LSAT: not taken/not registered yet)
AFAIK, CAS is valid for like five years.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 pm

vpintz wrote:
jmjm wrote:In order to have my foreign transcripts evaluated I have to buy CAS. Would I need to purchase CAS again if I do not apply this application year?

AFAIK, CAS is valid for like five years.
Found this on http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/cas.asp ...

The basic steps for assembling your CAS file can be done in any order, but they must all be completed before any law school reports will be sent.

Create your secure LSAC.org account if you have not already done so;
Make sure there is a reportable LSAT score in your LSAC file;
Provide information about the schools you attended to LSAC;
Make sure all required transcripts are sent to LSAC;
Make sure all required letters of recommendation and evaluations are sent to LSAC; and
Pay the $155 fee for the Credential Assembly Service. (Your account will remain active for five years.)

Do LOR/evaluation required to be submitted only once to CAS or multiple times to schools separately by recommenders?
Do T14s require CAS?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm

jmjm wrote: Do LOR/evaluation required to be submitted only once to CAS or multiple times to schools separately by recommenders?
Do T14s require CAS?
Your account stays active for 5 years.

You submit LORs (and evaluations, but they're pretty useless and not required at most schools) once to CAS and then they send them out to each school you send an application to.

Yes, CAS is required. Yes, it's a bit of a racket. However, CAS streamlines the process to a ridiculous degree and I think it's more than worth the fee.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 am

bp shinners wrote:
jmjm wrote: Do LOR/evaluation required to be submitted only once to CAS or multiple times to schools separately by recommenders?
Do T14s require CAS?
Your account stays active for 5 years.

You submit LORs (and evaluations, but they're pretty useless and not required at most schools) once to CAS and then they send them out to each school you send an application to.

Yes, CAS is required. Yes, it's a bit of a racket. However, CAS streamlines the process to a ridiculous degree and I think it's more than worth the fee.
thanks..

Would anyone know if it makes sense to add a summer course institution to CAS or is it too trivial? -- I took a summer continuing education course (2 months) at a US university as pass/fail grade.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”