LOR from TA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wtrc

LOR from TA?

Postby wtrc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Plan on submitting three LORs: from an employer, from a professor, and...

Either a TA (who now holds a PhD) who knows my work real well, or a professor who doesn't know me as well but would still write a good one (A in the class, good paper, etc)

Had the TA twice.

What's better to do? Thanks!

Dreas

Re: LOR from TA?

Postby Dreas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

weathercoins wrote:Plan on submitting three LORs: from an employer, from a professor, and...

Either a TA (who now holds a PhD) who knows my work real well, or a professor who doesn't know me as well but would still write a good one (A in the class, good paper, etc)

Had the TA twice.

What's better to do? Thanks!

Also interested about TA LOR.. mine went on to graduate from Boalt.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm

The TA is fine. You just want the best recommendation you can get.

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:07 pm

I got one from a professor and one from a TA. You'll be fine.

WaterCoffeeBeer

Postby WaterCoffeeBeer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 pm

TAs carry a lot less credibility. If it's not that inconvenient, why not ask the professor if s/he would be willing to read some of your work in order to be able to get a better appreciation for how good a student you are? Maybe the TA would be willing to talk to the professor about you for a while.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:00 pm

WaterCoffeeBeer wrote:TAs carry a lot less credibility. If it's not that inconvenient, why not ask the professor if s/he would be willing to read some of your work in order to be able to get a better appreciation for how good a student you are? Maybe the TA would be willing to talk to the professor about you for a while.

This is terrible advice. Admissions deans across the board have pretty much said to get LORs from people who know you best, not who has the fanciest job title.

A TA is perfectly fine as a recommender.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Dany wrote:
WaterCoffeeBeer wrote:TAs carry a lot less credibility. If it's not that inconvenient, why not ask the professor if s/he would be willing to read some of your work in order to be able to get a better appreciation for how good a student you are? Maybe the TA would be willing to talk to the professor about you for a while.

This is terrible advice. Admissions deans across the board have pretty much said to get LORs from people who know you best, not who has the fanciest job title.

Correct.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Chose TA who knows you over Prof who doesn't

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:The TA is fine. You just want the best recommendation you can get.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Dany wrote:

Correct.

Thirded to reiterate how bad this advice is.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Dany wrote:

Correct.

Thirded to reiterate how bad this advice is.
Fourthed and to add, a TA with PhD is a lot different from an undergraduate assistant type of TA. In fact, at my undergrad PhD students in a TA role are called teaching fellows (TFs) and usually run the discussion section of a class and do all the grading, whereas TAs are just former students who took the class you took and are available if you need help with something. TFs also are more available to get to know and have drinks with than a professor. Some classes are taught by PhD students entirely and you would never know unless you looked at their title on your school's website. Your TF might even have an assistant-professorship or post-doctorate fellowship somewhere now that he's done with his PhD.

and for the record, neither of my recommenders were "professors." One is a lecturer in the business school and one was a lecturer in the Arts & Sciences core program (though he just left for a tenure track professorship).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”