Resume length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Woods
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 am

Resume length

Postby Woods » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:43 am

What are the t14 schools that explicitly have a one-page maximum? Are there any?
Thanks!

SYoshi11
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby SYoshi11 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am

Not sure about which schools require one page, but as a general rule resumes ought be only one page long.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Resume length

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Unless you have been on the job 25 years and have significant work experience in something like engineering and patents, the answer is always one page, from now until you have been on the job 25 years.

JWalker
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby JWalker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm

One page unless you saved the world from global warming and cured cancer.

Woods
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 am

Re: Resume length

Postby Woods » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 pm

Gulc explicitly said the maximum is two pages.
I haven't researched enough but just want to ask here if anyone knows any school explicitly forbid exceeding one page.
What about this article?http://www.braingainmag.com/the-one-page-resume-rule-does-not-apply-to-law-school.htm

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Woods wrote:Gulc explicitly said the maximum is two pages.
I haven't researched enough but just want to ask here if anyone knows any school explicitly forbid exceeding one page.
What about this article?http://www.braingainmag.com/the-one-page-resume-rule-does-not-apply-to-law-school.htm

I've heard the opposite

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby JCFindley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 pm

JWalker wrote:One page unless you saved the world from global warming and cured cancer.


Hyperbole

kalvano wrote:Unless you have been on the job 25 years and have significant work experience in something like engineering and patents, the answer is always one page, from now until you have been on the job 25 years.


This.

Edit: Something like engineering and patents could include a variety of other applicable unique WE.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby cinephile » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm

If it doesn't specify, go for it. This isn't a job application and they always say more is better.

Also, to those saying you need 25 years work experience, that's crazy. Let's say you have a masters and a publication or two, presented at a couple conferences, know a few foreign languages or have programming/other special skills, and have been out of school for five years and worked at a different job for each of those years (what's job security?). If you have a non-exceptional/normal pre-law experience like this, you'll still struggle to put it all on one page.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby banjo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Mine is only one page, but I think it's perfectly okay to submit two pages. Chicago even seems to encourage it: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/1478

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume length

Postby JCFindley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

cinephile wrote:If it doesn't specify, go for it. This isn't a job application and they always say more is better.

Also, to those saying you need 25 years work experience, that's crazy. Let's say you have a masters and a publication or two, presented at a couple conferences, know a few foreign languages or have programming/other special skills, and have been out of school for five years and worked at a different job for each of those years (what's job security?). If you have a non-exceptional/normal pre-law experience like this, you'll still struggle to put it all on one page.


ALL very true.

25 years might have been a bit long assuming you have less time but a lot of things/jobs that are genuinely applicable that will put you over two pages.

To be blunt, my PS got the adcomm to read my two page resume. It was my two page resume that got the admit. I have to continually edit to keep it at two pages at that.

Now, going into two pages to list ALL your duties as fraternity treasurer, not so much.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Resume length

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 pm

If you've been out of school for several years and had at least a couple of jobs of some substance -- especially jobs that strongly inform your interest in attending law school -- I don't think there is necessarily any harm in going past one page. Passing one page might not be desirable for a professional résumé in many circumstances, but I think TLS makes way too much fuss about it when it comes to law school application résumés, which are more of a CV-résumé hybrid. If you have something significant to say for categories like professional experience, education, volunteer experience, academic honors/scholarships/awards, languages, publications, and a one-page limit forces you to omit valuable, relevant information, then add a second page. (Just be sure to use a good deal of the second page -- a 1.25 page résumé looks pretty tacky.)

I submitted a résumé of exactly two pages for all schools that did not have some other section in the application asking for some of the information. Things worked out just fine.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thewanderer and 1 guest