should i write a gpa addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zoomzoom88

should i write a gpa addendum

Postby zoomzoom88 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 pm

my ugpa is a 3.6 but my lsdas one is a 3.28 due to a dropped class. The semester that i failed the class originally was pretty awful and I was depressed, not adjusting well to school and dealing w the divorce of my parents. Should I write an addendum or will this come off as stupid to adcoms? I feel like everyone goes through this type of experience and that it really isn't worth mentioning?

I'd love for adcoms to see that i brought the failed course to a B+ the following semester and look at my ugpa over my lsdas but i know thats a long shot.

kylemba

Re: should i write a gpa addendum

Postby kylemba » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:my ugpa is a 3.6 but my lsdas one is a 3.28 due to a dropped class. The semester that i failed the class originally was pretty awful and I was depressed, not adjusting well to school and dealing w the divorce of my parents. Should I write an addendum or will this come off as stupid to adcoms? I feel like everyone goes through this type of experience and that it really isn't worth mentioning?

I'd love for adcoms to see that i brought the failed course to a B+ the following semester and look at my ugpa over my lsdas but i know thats a long shot.

I'm no expert on TLS but it depends on what school you're applying to. I personally wouldn't write one because your GPA isn't THAT low and adcoms might think you're making excuses by writing one. I could understand writing one if you had a 2.28 but a 3.38 should be fine... Unless you're shooting for T14 schools.

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 am

it's only a 3.28 and I mean I'm retaking my lsat in oct hoping to hit the high 160's (currently have a 161 on file) but i know that a lsat score in the high 160's does no good if my gpa is not above a 3.4

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

I would write one, but don't mention depression. Make it sound circumstantial, and mention the B+ earned the next semester.

kylemba

Postby kylemba » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:51 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:it's only a 3.28 and I mean I'm retaking my lsat in oct hoping to hit the high 160's (currently have a 161 on file) but i know that a lsat score in the high 160's does no good if my gpa is not above a 3.4

If it puts you at ease by all means write one. My GPA is actually slightly lower than yours.. but I'm only applying to T2 schools.

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 am

when you say circumstantial do you mean i was young, naiive, didn't understand the depth of the course, overloaded that semester (I also withdrew from a course that semester) and payed the costs? I am going to write something and post it later this afternoon

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”