Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I've seen a few basic merit based fee waiver solicitation emails, but as I send them out I was wondering if it was appropriate to also sneak in there that I just got out of an AmeriCorps program and am seriously lacking in funds. I only ask because some schools have TFA partnerships, but not explicit AmeriCorps partnerships. If appropriate, what would be the best way to do it?

It's possible I'd qualify for the LSAC waiver, but I considered it too late and don't want to wait that long to submit apps. I'd rather bite the bullet on costs than wait.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 pm

guinness1547 wrote:I've seen a few basic merit based fee waiver solicitation emails, but as I send them out I was wondering if it was appropriate to also sneak in there that I just got out of an AmeriCorps program and am seriously lacking in funds. I only ask because some schools have TFA partnerships, but not explicit AmeriCorps partnerships. If appropriate, what would be the best way to do it?

It's possible I'd qualify for the LSAC waiver, but I considered it too late and don't want to wait that long to submit apps. I'd rather bite the bullet on costs than wait.

I would write the standard form email for a fee waiver and mention it as a soft.
Dear Awesome School,
I am very interested in applying here for the upcoming admissions cycle and hope to visit soon. I was wondering if school X still issues merit based waivers. My lsat is X and my GPA is x. I graduated in X with honors/whatever and just got out of the AmericaCorps program etc.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Thank you for the advice. I worked it in almost exactly like that. Got almost instant denies from Chicago and Penn, but also received an instant waiver from Northwestern that cited my AmeriCorps experience as the reason for my waiver.

criminaltheory
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby criminaltheory » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Are your income numbers good enough for an LSAC fee waiver? Depending on how immediately you want to apply, consider applying for a waiver through LSAC, and even if you're denied you can appeal in a the process takes only a couple weeks and is pretty generous. It seems like most schools accept an LSAC waiver for their applications. Thanks to the LSAC waiver, I'll be helping UChicago and a number of other schools increase their selectivity rating.

Tushbush
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby Tushbush » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 pm

I sent out emails to three schools I'm applying to and all three have gladly sent me fee waivers. I pretty much said:

"My name is xxx and i will be applying to the xxx school of law this admissions cycle. I was wondering if there is a way I could have my applicatication fee waived when I apply in the next few days. I am very interested in your school and will be looking foward to hearing from Admissions this cycle. If it is possible for me to get a fee waiver I would greatly appreciate it and it would help me out alot!"

I was shocked at how receptive some schools are to fee waiver solicitations.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm

criminaltheory wrote:Are your income numbers good enough for an LSAC fee waiver? Depending on how immediately you want to apply, consider applying for a waiver through LSAC, and even if you're denied you can appeal in a the process takes only a couple weeks and is pretty generous. It seems like most schools accept an LSAC waiver for their applications. Thanks to the LSAC waiver, I'll be helping UChicago and a number of other schools increase their selectivity rating.


Possibly. I read that it could take 4-6 weeks for it to go through though, and that's longer than I'd be willing to wait. How long did yours take?

criminaltheory
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby criminaltheory » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:07 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Possibly. I read that it could take 4-6 weeks for it to go through though, and that's longer than I'd be willing to wait. How long did yours take?


I signed up for the LSAT mid march and applied then, initially rejected in the immediate response. I waited literally until the last day to send in my appeal paperwork:

April 20, faxed the documents specified (I swear it said 2010 tax form)
April 26, got an email that said they actually wanted the 2011 tax form. I probably faxed it that day.
May 8, received waiver letter.

So, the short of it is it took 12 to 18 days to process the appeal. I make under $20k.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Soliciting merit fee waivers while letting them know my need

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:47 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
criminaltheory wrote:Are your income numbers good enough for an LSAC fee waiver? Depending on how immediately you want to apply, consider applying for a waiver through LSAC, and even if you're denied you can appeal in a the process takes only a couple weeks and is pretty generous. It seems like most schools accept an LSAC waiver for their applications. Thanks to the LSAC waiver, I'll be helping UChicago and a number of other schools increase their selectivity rating.

Possibly. I read that it could take 4-6 weeks for it to go through though, and that's longer than I'd be willing to wait. How long did yours take?

Even if it takes the full six weeks, you'd still be applying ridiculously early. If you think you'll qualify, you're wasting money on applications for no reason. At the very least, you could just wait only on the schools you didn't get CRS waivers from.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], q2w3e, Thewanderer and 9 guests