Disciplinary Action but No Disciplinary Record?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lacigol

Disciplinary Action but No Disciplinary Record?

Postby lacigol » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:51 pm

As an undergrad, I was charged with plagiarism because I re-used content from one essay in an essay for another class. I was given a slap on the wrist, and the charges were dropped without an official mark on my record. I can provide a clean letter from the dean.

But, the dean's office does have an unofficial record of the incident. They are obligated to disclose the incident if I wanted government security clearance from an organization like the FBI or CIA. I am under the impression that this is the only time my unofficial record would come up.

Should I disclose the plagiarism charge on my law school application, even if I can truthfully say I do not have a disciplinary record? I am willing to come clean, and I am sincerely remorseful, but I also don't want to hurt my admission chances if I don't have to. If I do disclose, how negatively would this affect my application?

mr.hands

Re: Disciplinary Action but No Disciplinary Record?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 pm

The bar will look into your academic history. Even if you dont disclose, they can find out. If they do, you will never practice law.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Disclose. What if you have an opportunity to work with a federal agency that requires a clearance? Don't screw yourself over.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Always err on the side of disclosing.

lacigol

Postby lacigol » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone. I had pretty much decided to disclose, but your advice chased away any last minute doubts.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm

On a related note, I had a similar situation at my undergrad (had a friend stay with me and RA's finding out and getting caught for illegal occupancy which is a violation of conduct code). I've requested a formal disciplinary report from my alma mater to see what is on my record.

I'm certain that there will be other minor violations (verbal warnings for noise/alcohol, write-ups for fire safety violation) which may be omitted from the report. Should I disclose these as well even though they don't appear on the report?

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am

i would add them all into on addendum. being young and naiive/stupid. Adcoms will not care about noise infractions or even underage drinking.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”