Housing probation in college + old grad school apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
penelope55

Housing probation in college + old grad school apps

Postby penelope55 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am

Hi everyone, I have posted a couple of posts here and am still very much in the early stages of getting all my stuff together to apply - thinking I will submit an application next year for admission in 2014.

I just read a post in 'what are my chances' that made me remember something from college, which I am now concerned about, but kind of not for the reason that might seem obvious. There was a party in my apartment (this was in like 2006 or 2007), all the residents were over 21. One of the residents of the apartment called the cops because something silly was happening - a couple had locked themselves in her room, or something...something like that. I guess the cops asked for people's ids, or something, and discovered that there was someone under 21 there. I took complete responsibility for the whole thing, had a meeting with someone from residence life and said that I bought all the beer and stuff for my friend's (also a resident of the apartment) birthday and there were people there I did not know who were under 21 (both didn't know them and didn't know they were under 21, basically didn't know anything about em). Fine. I was on housing probation for a semester.

The first question is - how much of a problem is this?

The second part of this is my real concern - I have a grad degree and I did not mention that housing probation stuff on any of my applications for grad school. I actually don't even think it was asked (pretty sure they only asked about disciplinary action of an academic nature), and if they had asked about this kind of thing I am pretty sure I would have remembered the incident and mentioned it, but I know they do always provide space for any additional info. This incident was never in any of those additional info sections.

So the second question is - can I get in trouble for not disclosing this on any other non-law school applications when it comes time for law school apps and c&f, had that information been required?

Thank you!!!!!

ETA: Third question - am I crazy?

bp shinners

Re: Housing probation in college + old grad school apps

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm

penelope55 wrote:The first question is - how much of a problem is this?

Not a problem at all. If they dinged people for alcohol/noise violations, there'd probably be just enough lawyers and we wouldn't be in the mess that the legal profession is currently in (i.e. there are thousands who apply with these citations every year who have no adverse effects). Disclose, be honest, and you'll be fine.

The second part of this is my real concern - I have a grad degree and I did not mention that housing probation stuff on any of my applications for grad school.

Call up the schools to which you applied. Tell them that you're applying to law schools, and a question on the application gave you pause about your grad school application. Explain the situation, and see if you should have disclosed it back when you applied. If they didn't require you to, then it's no big deal. If they did want to know that info, then ask them if you can go about having it added to your file. The only school where this might be an issue is if the school you ended up attending wanted to know this and wouldn't have admitted you if they did know about it - the chances of that are exceedingly small, so I wouldn't fret.

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Thank you, bp!

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:01 pm

By way of an update - I called my undergrad and found out that I am dumb. I was never on housing probation. I apparently lost guest privileges in the dorm for some time. I am contacting my grad institution to find out if there was a question on the application that would have required me to disclose minor violations like this.

Just wondering at this point - anyone ever have to add something like this to an application after having received a degree? Anyone stupidly forget to disclose anything like this someplace other than a law school app and have it cause problems?

ETA: Also wondering...does this sound like the kind of thing I would even have to disclose to law schools? If not, then the whole issue with my prior grad school apps is kind of irrelevant, I think. As I mentioned above, I did talk to someone at my undergrad today and she said that if asked if I had been on probation or expelled or dismissed or anything like that I should say no - disciplinary action never occurred. I really don't remember the details, could have sworn I was on housing probation for giving alcohol to minors but I guess that's not the case. Ugh. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm nuts. Of course I will mention it on my apps. Still interested in feedback to paragraph 2 above if anyone has any!
ETA: Never mind, I called my undergrad and they said my infractions did not fall under what my grad school app asked for.

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:39 am

Hello all again...so if all is cool with my grad school, should I be contacting those other schools I did not get into to see if I needed to disclose? Is there any way law schools or anyone would be able to see my apps from grad school or any way I could get in trouble for possible discrepancies or inadvertent omissions? Would the bar ever ask schools I applied to but never attended to provide information about my applications? As I mentioned before I am still in the stage of just starting to think about law school so all I know about c&f is that they can dig things up. Am I paranoid and taking this too far?

Example - would a housing sanction like the one I described above fall under being charged with ethical or professional misconduct? (At this point I am checking my old applications and seeing if I made any omissions - again, these are all schools I never attended and in fact was never admitted to). At the time of answering that I didn't think so, and I don't really think so now...any opinions? Something like ethical misconduct is a pretty narrowly-defined thing and not just any old violation, right?

Please forgive my slight (extreme?) freak out!

Thank you again!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Short answer: You'd probably be ok, but an afternoon of making calls will put your mind at ease, so why not do it?

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 am

I ended up looking at the c&f questions for my state and there is one about rejections from any schools for reasons to do with character. I checked my grad school apps and one of them asked about any instances of personal misconduct. I emailed the school asking if I should have disclosed thinking I certainly should have, and they said you only need to disclose if it resulted in probation or dismissal. However...that's not what the wording of the question suggests, at all. So I am gonna try to get them to add an addendum to my file. Pretty sure they wouldn't have rejected me based on what's gonna be in the addendum given that its unclear whether they even want it.

So now my millionth question is this: if I say for c&f that I have never been rejected from a school for character-based reasons, if they contact the schools I applied to (not sure how they would know what they were if I didn't provide a list but again my impression is that they dig) could it be a problem that that addendum was not included in the original application as though I had been trying to hide my violations? I totally forgot about them until, like, just this week! I feel so dumb!

Thank you!

Eta: crap, I also just remembered that I once got a ticket for jumping a turnstile at canal street in like 2004!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

penelope55 wrote:So now my millionth question is this: if I say for c&f that I have never been rejected from a school for character-based reasons, if they contact the schools I applied to (not sure how they would know what they were if I didn't provide a list but again my impression is that they dig) could it be a problem that that addendum was not included in the original application as though I had been trying to hide my violations? I totally forgot about them until, like, just this week! I feel so dumb!

I am in no way qualified to officially answer any questions as far as what's going to happen in the whole C&F process for you. I can only make statements of what I've seen others go through.

But just be honest when it comes time for C&F. People forgive honest mistakes, especially ones that aren't important. Explain what happened, what made you realize your error, and the steps you took to correct it. And if you're really worried, find a lawyer that specializes in these issues and spend a few hundred for a consultation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”