Informal LOR from ESL speaker...should I submit it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Submit?

Don't submit, it's that bad
50%
Do submit, it's ok
50%
Do submit, it's better to have something for a 3 year gap
No votes

Total votes: 2

sepeterson211

Informal LOR from ESL speaker...should I submit it?

Postby sepeterson211 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:54 am

I work as an ESL teacher in Korea. I asked my former supervisor to write me a LOR, something that's unheard of in Korea. I showed her an example that she tried to imitate but I'm not sure if it will be helpful to my application. I'm more worried about the content than her English speaking ability. If I don't have a letter from my three years teaching in Korea, won't it be worse?

(I've edited out names and places for her anonymity.)

To whom it may concern:

I worked with *name*. She was invited for native English speakers who participate in the *town* Language Program, Korea. She came to our school for the first time. I have many good memories about her. I was in charge of the Foreign Language Center (English Town) in *county*. This center is in *School.* So, she could have a lot of chances to meet other teachers. She was very kind and very close with them. Everyone liked her, even kindergarteners.
I worked with her as a co-teacher. She gave me a lot of help me managing the English Town. She was very good everything that has been asked and never said no. She has had many opportunities to create curriculum, to teach special classes, teachers English conversation class as well as the ongoing task of contributing to the enhancement of English Town and its associated camps for high level middle school students during vacations. She also judged English competitions and helped edit textbooks for various programs. She always looked very happy while she was working. During these jobs I was very impressed by dedicated manner which *name* carried out her work assignments. She rarely had her own voice (opinion) when we asked for like work hours and overtime and used to give us better ideas (tips) to do. We collaborated well.
*Name* possesses many other qualities which I believe will make her a very successful student of the law. She has good interaction skills and positive thoughts. She is very well organized and manages her time effectively. She is also a very fast learner and has strong will of studying the law. I thought that many experiences she had abroad will lead to success in the field of the law. It could be better understanding social issues and all the people as well. I highly recommend her for a spot in your incoming class for law students. Please feel free to contact me if you need further information.
Last edited by sepeterson211 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: LOR from ESL speaker...should I submit it?

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:12 am

I doubt it's a big deal if you don't have a letter from your three years in Korea. Admissions departments are typically reasonable and teaching/working abroad is common enough that they likely know it is not necessarily easy to drum up LORs overseas.

As to this letter specifically, I'd lean toward not submitting it. What your supervisor says about you is useful and flattering, but it is painfully choppy to read. I feel like it would take longer than the normal LOR to peruse which could be seen as an annoyance, and I would try to avoid that.

This depends how good your other two letters are and who they are coming from though. If your other options are a TA from a class you got a C in and your shift manager at a coffee shop from 5 years ago then the ESL letter is looking pretty good.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:22 am

I'm doubting that the LOR writer's command of the English language would reflect that poorly on you. Especially if you're checking the box waiving your right to read the final copy. They should only hold the content of the letter against you, not the writing style.

sepeterson211

Postby sepeterson211 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:27 am

Thanks for your responses. She asked me to edit it for her but I only fixed a few things for clarification. I didn't want to take her voice out of the letter.

I was a little worried about the English, but I'm more concerned that it's different than most LORs since it's not a common practice in Korea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”