addenda?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tushbush

addenda?

Postby Tushbush » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I was wondering what things schools require addendums for. Like for felony convictions, or academic misconduct, or what? Can anyone who has applied to law school answer this? Anyone have to write an addendum when they didnt think they would have had to?

manofjustice

Re: addenda?

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Anything that is a "yes" on the character and fitness section of your application--write an addendum. A low GPA? Well, if you are good at writing, and you have studied and thought about how Admissions Committees think (I got "How to get into a top law schools" which helped, but you can also just read TLS forms), then go for it. Whatever you do, think of your addenda not as "addenda" but as personal statements. You are providing information, making a case, and attempting to persuade. You'd better do it well. Addenda are opportunities. (But, if you've thought about how Admissions Committees think, you'll know to get to the point, for God's sake, and don't whine!)

(Don't write an addendum for a low LSAT score unless you were, ya know, dying or something during the test).

Tushbush

Postby Tushbush » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:38 pm

ok but can you give me examples of the questions asked on that section?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 pm

A tier one school wrote:Please answer this question and explain any “yes” answers: Have you ever been placed on probation, disciplined, dropped, suspended, or expelled from a post-secondary college, university, graduate school, professional school, or law school for academic or non-academic reasons? If yes, please respond to this e-mail and attach a narrative statement (in .pdf or Word format) describing the circumstances.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Nova wrote:
A tier one school wrote:Please answer this question and explain any “yes” answers: Have you ever been placed on probation, disciplined, dropped, suspended, or expelled from a post-secondary college, university, graduate school, professional school, or law school for academic or non-academic reasons? If yes, please respond to this e-mail and attach a narrative statement (in .pdf or Word format) describing the circumstances.

I am only studying Torts so why not waste my time answering this question? (Right because I waste my time a lot)...

Have you ever been arrested/charged/cited/written a ticket for a misdemeanor or felony? Are any such charges pending against you? Have you ever been cited for or accused of a violation of any of your schools rules? Etc.

The questions are quite broad, but vary a bit between schools, and you have to answer them accurately, or else if anyone finds out, no matter how old you are, you won't be a lawyer anymore. The Character and Fitness committee does will also do a background check, so you might not even become a lawyer in the first place.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”