Does a fee waiver and a packet mean acceptance is likely?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WalkingPlato

Does a fee waiver and a packet mean acceptance is likely?

Postby WalkingPlato » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi. I, like many (if not all of you), have received some mailings and fee waivers from law schools. A lot of them say I would be a competative applicant and/or a good fit for the school. But, do these fee waivers and accompanying packets mean that it is likely I will get in if I apply or are they just looking for applicants to lower their acceptance percentage?

Tom Joad

Re: Does a fee waiver and a packet mean acceptance is likely?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Depends on the school and your numbers.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Depends on the school and your numbers.

I received several T20 and a couple T14 and I got excited... My GPA is far above their 75th %tile but my LSAT for the T14 is at or 1 point below the 25th.. So I'm guessing it's not a likely admit.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Acceptance into the T14 is for only the most elite students in the country and therefore it is never accurate to say that acceptance is likely --what you can conclude however is that if you don't get a packet and a fee waiver then acceptance is unlikely.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Schools give out a lot of waivers so that you apply, they ding you, and their acceptance rate goes down. Might as well apply though

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:34 pm

moonman157 wrote:Schools give out a lot of waivers so that you apply, they ding you, and their acceptance rate goes down. Might as well apply though

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. I might as well do it since it's free.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:38 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Acceptance into the T14 is for only the most elite students in the country and therefore it is never accurate to say that acceptance is likely --what you can conclude however is that if you don't get a packet and a fee waiver then acceptance is unlikely.

Really? Don't many potential applicants with competitive numbers fail to receive packets and fee waivers from a decent amount of schools they would have a fair chance of being admitted to?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Most schools give one out if you ask.

There are no other conclusions you can draw from this argument. It doesn't even make sense that a school would consider this. The information just isn't passed on to the selection committee.

Don't make this more than it is.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Don't make this more than it is.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:29 pm

short answer: no. However, the earlier in the cycle you get the fee waiver, the better. But, my guess is still no. This last cycle has been horrendous, and I am sure schools are doing everything they can to boost their numbers, including selectivity...and just sheer numerical yield. So I would expect application fees will stay (they signal quality) but will be easily waived (they decrease applications).

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:34 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:Don't make this more than it is.

Luchando

Postby Luchando » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Consider the incentive that every school has to encourage applications from students that certainly won't be admitted.

Hint: It has to do with the word selectivity.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 pm

I honestly think it means something. If a school gives you a waiver it means that they're definitely interested because you're a strong candidate who would likely attend if admitted (hence why people with say 3.7/170+ don't get waivers to schools they'd be locks at) or a URM/LGBT/Military Vet who would add much needed diversity to the student body.

It wouldn't make sense for T-14s to just hand out a bunch of fee waivers just to make their acceptance rate more selective by rejecting those people later. They're losing $70-$80 each time they do that and it's not like hundreds of thousands of students are applying to law school to begin with so the acceptance rate is probably only going to decrease marginally if they do that while they could lose tens of thousands in application fees they would have collected.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:43 pm

DaRascal wrote:I honestly think it means something. If a school gives you a waiver it means that they're definitely interested because you're a strong candidate who would likely attend if admitted (hence why people with say 3.7/170+ don't get waivers to schools they'd be locks at) or a URM/LGBT/Military Vet who would add much needed diversity to the student body.

It wouldn't make sense for T-14s to just hand out a bunch of fee waivers just to make their acceptance rate more selective by rejecting those people later. They're losing $70-$80 each time they do that and it's not like hundreds of thousands of students are applying to law school to begin with so the acceptance rate is probably only going to decrease marginally if they do that while they could lose tens of thousands in application fees they would have collected.

I got fee waivers to schools I blew the water out of. I even got a fee waiver to Charleston, for heaven's sake.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I got fee waivers to schools I blew the water out of. I even got a fee waiver to Charleston, for heaven's sake.

I got (unsolicited) scholarship offers from schools that were so far below my numbers they made me laugh

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:48 pm

dingbat wrote:I got (unsolicited) scholarship offers from schools that were so far below my numbers they made me laugh

I only laughed if they didn't include scholarship offers.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I honestly think it means something. If a school gives you a waiver it means that they're definitely interested because you're a strong candidate who would likely attend if admitted (hence why people with say 3.7/170+ don't get waivers to schools they'd be locks at) or a URM/LGBT/Military Vet who would add much needed diversity to the student body.

I got fee waivers to schools I blew the water out of. I even got a fee waiver to Charleston, for heaven's sake.

I didn't say there weren't exceptions and for a school like Charleston maybe it makes sense because they think they can trick you into attending with a shiny packet and significant scholarship money so that you'll raise their medians and a rise in acceptance rate wouldn't really affect their reputation anyway.

I dunno this is all just my speculation.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
dingbat wrote:I got (unsolicited) scholarship offers from schools that were so far below my numbers they made me laugh

Then I just felt insulted

I mean, seriously, if my LSAT is more than a dozen points over the 75th percentile and I don't live in the general region of some festering TTT, what are they thinking?

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

I mean, seriously, if my LSAT is more than a dozen points over the 75th percentile and I don't live in the general region of some festering TTT, what are they thinking?

I think you're afraid of the challenge. You don't want to go to the TTT because you're afraid of the responsibility of having to be one of the top students and carry that school's vision into the future. There are leaders and then there are those who choose to be just another number at a top law school. 8)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:06 pm

DaRascal wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

I think you're afraid of the challenge. You don't want to go to the TTT because you're afraid of the responsibility of having to be one of the top students and carry that school's vision into the future. There are leaders and then there are those who choose to be just another number at a top law school. 8)

I made that mistake with my UG :lol: :arrow: :x :cry: :oops:

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:16 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Acceptance into the T14 is for only the most elite students in the country and therefore it is never accurate to say that acceptance is likely --what you can conclude however is that if you don't get a packet and a fee waiver then acceptance is unlikely.

Really? Don't many potential applicants with competitive numbers fail to receive packets and fee waivers from a decent amount of schools they would have a fair chance of being admitted to?

That's quite correct. Not getting a fee waiver does not bear on the likelihood of admittance. None of this stuff in this thread makes any sense since your likelihood of admittance is apparent on the face of your numbers.

anela00

Postby anela00 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:09 am

I just got a fee waiver and packet from a T10 school, PLUS a short handwritten note from the admissions dean ("Congrats on a stellar performance at [HYS]!"). Also, the letter was customized to speak to my URM group. Now does that mean something?

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 am

anela00 wrote:I just got a fee waiver and packet from a T10 school, PLUS a short handwritten note from the admissions dean ("Congrats on a stellar performance at [HYS]!"). Also, the letter was customized to speak to my URM group. Now does that mean something?

It sounds like it was from Michigan? If so, I remember that being a good sign last year, but it was not universal in terms of indicating a future acceptance. I recall someone posting a stat saying it was a little over 50 percent, though that could be incorrect.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:04 am

Don't let fee waivers/info packets change your expectations. Your chances are the same they were before you received it; now, you just have more information. But what that information suggests is anyone's guess.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:06 am

Scotusnerd wrote:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”