The Perfect Rec Letter...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glaw01

The Perfect Rec Letter...

Postby glaw01 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 am

...would include what exactly?

One of the professors who is writing a rec letter for wants me to give him a basic guideline of what the lettershould address. This presents both a great opportunity and a big risk - I don't want to screw it up and miss any important points.

So. What topics would the ideal rec letter address?

A huge THANK YOU to anyone who is willing to offer advice on this issue.

kylemba

Re: The Perfect Rec Letter...

Postby kylemba » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 am

I just gave my professor, who is also my adviser in my MBA program, his packet to do my LOR and asked me to give him topics to write about.

Last semester I become overwhelmed with my classes and the risk of being asked to leave the program became very real. Not that I was a bad student but a B- is failing in my program so it is very competitive.

Long story short I put my whole heart into it and realized what had to be done to stay in the program and prevailed when the semester ended.

We agreed he would write something about my educational maturity in the situation as well as my dedication and hard work to do what had to be done... but hopefully not as lame as I just worded it.. and not so much about the fact that I almost got kicked out of the MBA program.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am

glaw01 wrote:...would include what exactly?

One of the professors who is writing a rec letter for wants me to give him a basic guideline of what the lettershould address. This presents both a great opportunity and a big risk - I don't want to screw it up and miss any important points.

So. What topics would the ideal rec letter address?

A huge THANK YOU to anyone who is willing to offer advice on this issue.

In my opinion, having spoken with admissions people and read countless blogs, if you can get an LOR that says anything along the lines of "I (your prof) have had students who have gone on to X law school, and glaw01 is at or beyond their level... glaw01 will be exceedingly successful at this level."

X law school can refer to a level of schools or your target school or a peer school to your target school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Also, the LoR is a great place to get someone to just state positive qualities you have without you having to 'brag' about them. Pick one or two skills you demonstrated in the professor's class and have them mentioned in it. Pick something that doesn't show up anywhere else in your application package (for instance, writing well isn't a skill that's too important to get in a LoR since you'll demonstrate that in your PS, but great researching abilities or intellectual curiosity in the subject are great skills for a professor to mention).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”