Asking a professor who just left the univerity for a LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
julius305

Asking a professor who just left the univerity for a LOR

Postby julius305 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 am

A professor I have taken several courses with, and was going to take another this semester just left the university unexpectedly due to a conflict with the rest of the staff in the department. I was relying on them for a LOR. Would it be a terrible idea to ask them for a letter?

Re: Asking a professor who just left the univerity for a LOR

Postby 02889 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:19 am

One of my LOR is from a professor who now teaches elsewhere. I think it's totally fine, as long as they can comment on their time with you as their student. Of course, if the professor left because of an academic or professional scandal and you think his or her name is actually tainted, maybe try to look elsewhere if you can.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah I asked the former dean of my college for one despite the fact that he had switched schools. Wasn't a problem whatsoever.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 am

Got one from a prof who left as well. Shouldn't matter that he's gone. Just might look a little odd that his LOR is on a different letterhead that your undergrad (if he even uses the school's letterhead).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Got one from a prof who left as well. Shouldn't matter that he's gone. Just might look a little odd that his LOR is on a different letterhead that your undergrad (if he even uses the school's letterhead).

I don't think admissions officers will even give it a second though (the letterhead being different). Definitely don't worry about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”