Need Help! Work Experience/GPA ?'s

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaBears0304

Need Help! Work Experience/GPA ?'s

Postby DaBears0304 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello all! :)

This is my first post, and I'm truly looking for some advice...

I worked full-time throughout UG (all 4 years), and will have 2.5-years of full-time experience out of UG (7 years total) when I apply this fall. I also currently hold a 157 LSAT, and a 3.3 LSDAS (3.6 on transcript). I'm looking to see if anyone can provide feedback on the below questions..? I'd also like to note that I'm either looking at either DePaul, Kent, or Loyola... Thanks everyone!

1) How much emphasis should I put in my PS on my work experience? I’m really short on ideas and think this might be a good place to start.

2) How much consideration do admission committees give FT work experience (especially during UG)? I’m curious to know if it can help compensate my application due to the impact on my LSDAS GPA (-.3 points)…

Thanks Everyone!

RSterling

Re: Need Help! Work Experience/GPA ?'s

Postby RSterling » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:50 pm

DaBears0304 wrote:Hello all! :)

This is my first post, and I'm truly looking for some advice...

I worked full-time throughout UG (all 4 years), and will have 2.5-years of full-time experience out of UG (7 years total) when I apply this fall. I also currently hold a 157 LSAT, and a 3.3 LSDAS (3.6 on transcript). I'm looking to see if anyone can provide feedback on the below questions..? I'd also like to note that I'm either looking at either DePaul, Kent, or Loyola... Thanks everyone!

1) How much emphasis should I put in my PS on my work experience? I’m really short on ideas and think this might be a good place to start.

A PS should convince someone that law school is the next logical step for you given your interests and it should convey that through a meaningful and interesting story. If you're work exp does that then go for it.

2) How much consideration do admission committees give FT work experience (especially during UG)? I’m curious to know if it can help compensate my application due to the impact on my LSDAS GPA (-.3 points)…

It might help a very tiny bit if you mention it in an addendum, but it's not going to do a whole lot.

The TLS broken record tells almost everyone that they need to retake the LSAT, and your case that's absolutely true. A 165+ LSAT will do more than a PS or WE ever could times 100.
Thanks Everyone!

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Retake.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 pm

You didn't ask about retaking, but you did say you are "truly looking for some advice." The best advice anyone could give you in this situation: study hard until you are PTing in a range such that you will likely either (1) be admitted to a T14 or (2) go to a strong local school for almost free. Retake, reapply, and profit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”