NYU application form

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Just

NYU application form

Postby Just » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 am

On the first page, it asked about "Members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic/educational disadvantage"

I'm just a regular international Asian student, should I count myself in the groups?
Does the disadvantage of studying English count (with regard to lsat)?
Thanks!

indigomachine

Re: NYU application form

Postby indigomachine » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:14 am

According to this rando-site: https://askgriffith.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/800/~/what-is-educational-disadvantage%3F language barriers may be considered an educational disadvantage.

That said, language understood as a barrier to education may or may not apply in your individual circumstances... I feel like we would need more info on your background in English to know whether or not this would apply to you... Were you classes in English in HS? How long have you been learning / known English? etc.

If you're basically fluent (which it at least seems like from your other posts) and have had extensive experience as an English speaker, it seems like a stretch to call that a disadvantage. That aside, I doubt there would be negative consequences if NYU decided you weren't at an educational disadvantage; I imagine they just wouldn't count it in your favor.

I'd think you'd know better than anyone on TLS if this was a real educational disadvantage you struggled with or something you're trying to get to fit into the institutional definition for an admissions boost. Whichever of those two you think best fits = your answer.

My 0.02

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 am

Just wrote:Does the disadvantage of studying English count (with regard to lsat)?
Thanks!

Unless you're writing an explanatory essay about how your first LSAT score is low because you weren't well-versed in English, but your second is much higher because you've since taken an intense English language class, I wouldn't write about it.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Just wrote:On the first page, it asked about "Members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic/educational disadvantage"

I'm just a regular international Asian student, should I count myself in the groups?
Thanks!

Where's the NYU app?

Just

Postby Just » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:24 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:
Just wrote:On the first page, it asked about "Members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic/educational disadvantage"

Thanks!

Where's the NYU app?

It's an old one, not the 2013 version

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”