Which Community Colleges offer A+s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bildungsroman

Re: Which Community Colleges offer A+s?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 pm

vulpixie wrote:Obviously both classes would need to be curved. I figured that was implied.

yeah, IAFG, obviously community colleges all curve their humanities classes and mandate A+s. Only a dummy wouldn't make that reasonable and not-totally-stupid unspoken assumption.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Obviously both classes would need to be curved. I figured that was implied.

... please find me a CC in the United States that regularly employs a mandatory curve that includes mandatory A+. Right now I am guessing there are somewhere between 0 and 2.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 pm

vulpixie wrote:
kwais wrote:you sound dumb.

Ditto.

kwais wrote:I took many community college classes.

And? You found them difficult? See above.

kwais wrote:There are professors who fancy themselves as "tough," and there are classes that are as difficult as classes at 4-year schools.

lol, please refer me to the specific community college intro-level humanities course you took that was as or more difficult than upper-level math classes at an accredited 4-year university. And by "more difficult" I (obviously) mean that a higher percentage of randomly-selected students would be capable of getting As in the MTH 400 course than they would in the HUM 101 class.

kwais wrote:Also, I know some idiot math majors. Your generalizations make you sound like you are about 17.

Did I say that all math majors are brilliant? No. What I said is that most people intelligent enough to excel in advanced mathematics programs at 4-year universities are also smart enough to get A's in 100-level community college humanities courses without exorbitant effort. Do you really want to dispute that?

I take much more issue with your idiotic tone and generalizations than with your basic premise. You could have an IQ of 160 and you'd still be a moron. See if you can figure that one out.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:19 pm

yeah, IAFG, obviously community colleges all curve their humanities classes and mandate A+s. Only a dummy wouldn't make that reasonable and not-totally-stupid unspoken assumption

Look, obviously some random professor can assign all Fs if he wants to. And, yes, that class would be very "difficult". I've never heard of (much less encountered) anything like this IRL, but of course it *could* happen. But this thread this isn't an argument about the 1/1000 classes with sadistic professors who never give out As. It's about whether or not a highly-successful math major can reasonably expect to get an A+ at an introductory-level humanities course if he puts forth a decent effort. Several people ITT -- including you -- seem to be indicating that this was an unreasonable expectation on the part of the OP. Clearly, it isn't.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 pm

vulpixie wrote:
yeah, IAFG, obviously community colleges all curve their humanities classes and mandate A+s. Only a dummy wouldn't make that reasonable and not-totally-stupid unspoken assumption

Look, obviously some random professor can assign all Fs if he wants to. And, yes, that class would be very "difficult". I've never heard of (much less encountered) anything like this IRL, but of course it *could* happen. But this thread this isn't an argument about the 1/1000 classes with sadistic professors who never give out As. It's about whether or not a highly-successful math major can reasonably expect to get an A+ at an introductory-level humanities course if he puts forth a decent effort. Several people ITT -- including you -- seem to be indicating that this was an unreasonable expectation on the part of the OP. Clearly, it isn't.

No, it's definitely an unreasonable expectation.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 pm

It's unreasonable to assume that any given instructor at any given CC plans to give out any A+s and possibly any As. That may become a reasonable assumption with more information from past and current students, but picking a random CC off the internet based on the fact that they theoretically grant A+? Not smart.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 pm

vulpixie wrote:But this thread this isn't an argument about the 1/1000 classes with sadistic professors who never give out As.

I believe we are talking about A+s, not As. As such I would argue that the chances of running into situations that these do not become available is far greater that 1/1000.

vulpixie wrote:It's about whether or not a highly-successful math major can reasonably expect to get an A+ at an introductory-level humanities course if he puts forth a decent effort.

If highly successful, then this effort at gaming would not be an issue.

Also we are not talking about pulling this off once, but five times. Yes it is possible, but claiming that it is slam-dunk seems to be overly optimistic.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:No, it's definitely an unreasonable expectation.

You're totally out of touch. I took dozens of CC courses (at three different CCs) in high and before starting my UG degree. I had between a 96 and 105% in every single one of them, let alone the intro humanities courses. They are just ridiculously easy. (And upper-level math classes are ridiculously hard.) It could be that I have an incredibly biased sample size, but I'd bet anything that if a comprehensive study were done on this, the average math major with a 3.8 GPA would have much better than 50/50 of getting an A+ in a typical intro-level CC humanities course, assuming that A+s were explicitly offered (and defined reasonably, like a .97 or better).

EDIT: And assuming he put forth a decent effort, of course.
Last edited by vulpixie on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 pm

haus wrote:
vulpixie wrote:It's about whether or not a highly-successful math major can reasonably expect to get an A+ at an introductory-level humanities course if he puts forth a decent effort.

Also we are not talking about pulling this off once, but five times. Yes it is possible, but claiming that it is slam-dunk seems to be overly optimistic.

First of all, the OP said he needs 5 credits not 5 classes. Which means he'd only need to pull this off for two classes. Secondly, I would consider the OP to be highly successful since he's maintained a 3.8+ GPA throughout his academic career. That's way better than the vast majority of math majors, and not an easy thing to do.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 pm

vulpixie wrote:
haus wrote:

First of all, the OP said he needs 5 credits not 5 classes. Which means he'd only need to pull this off for two classes. Secondly, I would consider the OP to be highly successful since he's maintained a 3.8+ GPA throughout his academic career. That's way better than the vast majority of math majors, and not an easy thing to do.

You're pretty good at making assumptions. Credits work differently at every school. Sure, alot go by the credit-hour system, but at mine one credit = one course.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
vulpixie wrote:
haus wrote:

You're pretty good at making assumptions. Credits work differently at every school. Sure, alot go by the credit-hour system, but at mine one credit = one course.

fine. will the OP clarify?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm

PBJones wrote:I will be finishing up college this coming Fall and then will be applying to LS in the 2013-2014 cycle. However, even with all A's, I won't hit the median at my LS of choice. But if I can get 5 credits worth of A+ before graduation, I will be comfortably above that median. So I want to take classes online from an institution (probs a community colllege) which offers A+s as part of their grading scale.

Can anyone who knows of any such colleges post their name(s) here for me? Thanks.

I think this is a mistake. Can't you just take more classes at your current college and get all As? Your application is going to scream that you are gaming the system. For the schools that matter to you, you will be hurting yourself.

Not to mention it is a complete waste if your time, money and energy. And there is no guarantee of a+. Not to mention some firms want to see your undergrad transcripts too.

You should take more classes at your current school and strive for As - but also work on being an interesting, compelling applicant. Taking courses you don't need at a random community college doesn't make you compelling. It makes you look odd. Don't rely on your math calculations focused solely on beating the median as the way to win favor at the most selective schools. I have other ideas that might help. But first detach your brain from the grade chase and ebmngage in meaningful work .

Your competition is stiff - thus is not the way to make yourself shine .

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm

vulpixie wrote:

Continuing this trend, your only argument here is to assume that you are correct. Unless you are taking your personal anecdotes and made up statistics to present a self-evident conclusion.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:No, it's definitely an unreasonable expectation.

You're totally out of touch. I took dozens of CC courses (at three different CCs) in high and before starting my UG degree. I had between a 96 and 105% in every single one of them, let alone the intro humanities courses. They are just ridiculously easy. (And upper-level math classes are ridiculously hard.) It could be that I have an incredibly biased sample size, but I'd bet anything that if a comprehensive study were done on this, the average math major with a 3.8 GPA would have much better than 50/50 of getting an A+ in a typical intro-level CC humanities course, assuming that A+s were explicitly offered (and defined reasonably, like a .97 or better).

EDIT: And assuming he put forth a decent effort, of course.

You're right. As long as the professor is perfectly fair, and an A+ is guaranteed at a certain percentage, and he gets that percentage, then he's golden.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 pm

sunynp wrote:
PBJones wrote:I will be finishing up college this coming Fall and then will be applying to LS in the 2013-2014 cycle. However, even with all A's, I won't hit the median at my LS of choice. But if I can get 5 credits worth of A+ before graduation, I will be comfortably above that median. So I want to take classes online from an institution (probs a community colllege) which offers A+s as part of their grading scale.

Can anyone who knows of any such colleges post their name(s) here for me? Thanks.

I think this is a mistake. Can't you just take more classes at your current college and get all As? Your application is going to scream that you are gaming the system. For the schools that matter to you, you will be hurting yourself.

Not to mention it is a complete waste if your time, money and energy. And there is no guarantee of a+. Not to mention some firms want to see your undergrad transcripts too.

You should take more classes at your current school and strive for As - but also work on being an interesting, compelling applicant. Taking courses you don't need at a random community college doesn't make you compelling. It makes you look odd. Don't rely on your math calculations focused solely on beating the median as the way to win favor at the most selective schools. I have other ideas that might help. But first detach your brain from the grade chase and ebmngage in meaningful work .

Your competition is stiff - thus is not the way to make yourself shine .

Suny makes a good point. The top 3 schools aren't worried about losing their spot due to GPA/LSAT scores of their students. Randomly switching to a CC in the twilight hour of UG is an easy way to put yourself behind the competition.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 pm

vulpixie wrote:First of all, the OP said he needs 5 credits not 5 classes.

My apologies, you are correct the OP stated 5 credits, not classes. But at most CC that I am aware of this is still going to take at least two classes (although these things do vary). Professors are often given a great deal of latitude in their grading, and some care should be taken that an A+ is really an reasonable option, not just a theoretical one.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:You're right. As long as the professor is perfectly fair, and an A+ is guaranteed at a certain percentage, and he gets that percentage, then he's golden.

It's funny how you make it out as though I'm making a ridiculous assumption in thinking that someone with a 3.8 LSAC gpa in math and an LSAT score high enough to be competitive at HYS has a reasonable shot at getting an A+ at a HUM 101 community college course, when A+'s are specifically offered by the college.

This whole argument started with you randomly mocking the OP for thinking that he was likely capable of earning an A+ in an into-level CC course. The average professor at the average CC is not going to refuse to give out A+'s to a person who is almost certainly going to be the brightest in his class. You are the one making unwarranted assumptions, since you're assuming he will have a professor that is more difficult than average.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:You're right. As long as the professor is perfectly fair, and an A+ is guaranteed at a certain percentage, and he gets that percentage, then he's golden.

It's funny how you make it out as though I'm making a ridiculous assumption in thinking that someone with a 3.8 LSAC gpa in math and an LSAT score high enough to be competitive at HYS has a reasonable shot at getting an A+ at a HUM 101 community college course, when A+'s are specifically offered by the college.

This whole argument started with you randomly mocking the OP for thinking that he was likely capable of earning an A+ in an into-level CC course. The average professor at the average CC is not going to refuse to give out A+'s to a person who is almost certainly going to be the brightest in his class. You are the one making unwarranted assumptions, since you're assuming he will have a professor that is more difficult than average.

I think we've moved past that and are now mocking you for a variety of reasons, all of which were self-inflicted

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 am

Bildungsroman, kwais, hich, et al -

You seem to be spending a lot of energy attacking claims no one has made.

Neither I, nor my apparent defender Vulpixie, said that I am guaranteed to get an A+. Nor did anyone ever say that all community colleges offer A+ within a reasonable range: the point of this since-derailed thread was finding one such college, if it exists. These are claims you constructed in your imaginations and then falsely attributed to us.

The argument was only that, since low-level humanities courses tend to be pretty soft (I've gotten As in every one (about 7-9) I've ever taken, including *gasp* at community colleges in high school), and I have strong grades in classes that (empirically) tend to be harder (as evidenced by the fact that math majors, who statistically generally have better test scores than humanities majors, generally get worse grades in their major than anthropological/sociology/english students do in theirs), that I have a solid chance to get an A+ at a lower-level humanities class at community college. Since the chance of me getting lower than an A in such a class is, according to all the evidence, low, it therefore follows that taking the class is a smart thing to do, since by taking the course, the overwhelming possibility is that I will either do something that helps me (getting an A+) or at least doesn't hurt me (getting an A).

Speaking of erroneous assumptions, who is to say that wanting an A+ is the only reason I'm seeking to finish core humanities credits outside of my university? College is expensive, you know, and I'm guessing adcoms are privy to that fact.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 am

PBJones wrote:Bildungsroman, kwais, hich, et al -

You seem to be spending a lot of energy attacking claims no one has made.

Neither I, nor my apparent defender Vulpixie, said that I am guaranteed to get an A+. Nor did anyone ever say that all community colleges offer A+ within a reasonable range: the point of this since-derailed thread was finding one such college, if it exists. These are claims you constructed in your imaginations and then falsely attributed to us.

The argument was only that, since low-level humanities courses tend to be pretty soft (I've gotten As in every one (about 7-9) I've ever taken, including *gasp* at community colleges in high school), and I have strong grades in classes that (empirically) tend to be harder (as evidenced by the fact that math majors, who statistically generally have better test scores than humanities majors, generally get worse grades in their major than anthropological/sociology/english students do in theirs), that I have a solid chance to get an A+ at a lower-level humanities class at community college. Since the chance of me getting lower than an A in such a class is, according to all the evidence, low, it therefore follows that taking the class is a smart thing to do, since by taking the course, the overwhelming possibility is that I will either do something that helps me (getting an A+) or at least doesn't hurt me (getting an A).

Speaking of erroneous assumptions, who is to say that wanting an A+ is the only reason I'm seeking to finish core humanities credits outside of my university? College is expensive, you know, and I'm guessing adcoms are privy to that fact.

I want to reiterate that I don't think its a bad idea, and I think that--realistically--the worst thing that happens is OP runs into two teachers that don't assign + signs to A's (many don't. I got a 126%, or something equally stupid, in a history class once and the teacher refused to put a plus there). Which means he doesn't get quite the bump he's looking for.

However, if you do this, please don't insult adcoms by stating in your addendum that you sought two irrelevant courses at a CC for the enrichment of it. No one can prove that you're lying, but I think most would assume you are. At schools that don't need anybody, I feel like it could only hurt you to try and make that case.

Incidentally, why aren't you doing this at your university? intro courses are intro courses anywhere, regardless of level or field. I mean, I got an A in both my required math courses and I barely add up the bar tab when it comes.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:02 am

http://www.myedu.com/

Use any professor ratings and grade distribution websites to check out the relative difficulty of the course :mrgreen:
Thankfully, I had more than 40 A+ Credits. What I did was to request the syllabus before the semester started and checked whether he/she grants A+ based on the performance. Studied my ass off. Hope you succeed in the community college courses! :D

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am

vulpixie wrote:The average professor at the average CC is not going to refuse to give out A+'s to a person who is almost certainly going to be the brightest in his class.
vulpixie wrote:You are the one making unwarranted assumptions

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”