Which Community Colleges offer A+s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PBJones

Which Community Colleges offer A+s?

Postby PBJones » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I will be finishing up college this coming Fall and then will be applying to LS in the 2013-2014 cycle. However, even with all A's, I won't hit the median at my LS of choice. But if I can get 5 credits worth of A+ before graduation, I will be comfortably above that median. So I want to take classes online from an institution (probs a community colllege) which offers A+s as part of their grading scale.

Can anyone who knows of any such colleges post their name(s) here for me? Thanks.

Bildungsroman

Re: Which Community Colleges offer A+s?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Helpful hint of the day: if you're below a law school's median GPA, there's a strong chance you're not the kind of student who can count on an A+, even at a community college.

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Helpful hint of the day: if you're below a law school's median GPA, there's a strong chance you're not the kind of student who can count on an A+, even at a community college.

I'm a math major and the median GPA I'm looking at is from a Top three school. I think I can handle ANT 200.

I do however appreciate the completely unwarranted and unhelpful snark.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm

PBJones wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Helpful hint of the day: if you're below a law school's median GPA, there's a strong chance you're not the kind of student who can count on an A+, even at a community college.

I'm a math major and the median GPA I'm looking at is from a Top three school. I think I can handle ANT 200.

Oh well if it's a class outside your major then you're probably guaranteed an A+. Just make sure to do lots of math on the exams.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

getting an A+ in community college is not difficult. At all.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Oh well if it's a class outside your major then you're probably guaranteed an A+. Just make sure to do lots of math on the exams.

Is this sarcasm? There's no math on anthropology exams. Anyway, OP, I only know of one community college that offers A pluses (http://www.lanecc.edu/), but they don't appear to offer online classes. You could always take an online class from one of the GA/NC/CA state schools, but without a scholarship it will cost you about 1k/credit-hour. :|

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:

getting an A+ in community college is not difficult. At all.

Except when it is. You'd need the school to 1) offer A+ and 2) have a reputation for giving it out. I went to night school at a CC in high school and while A+ was offered, I never saw one, even when I got 100% in the course.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:25 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Oh well if it's a class outside your major then you're probably guaranteed an A+. Just make sure to do lots of math on the exams.

Is this sarcasm? There's no math on anthropology exams.

That was the joke. Just because you're a math major with an okay GPA doesn't mean you'll be rolling in A+s in random classes outside your major.

Postby 06102016 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

That was the joke. Just because you're a math major with an okay GPA doesn't mean you'll be rolling in A+s in random classes outside your major.

Oh, come on. Have you ever taken a community college class? They are absurdly easy. If you're a math major with a 3.8+ GPA (and English is your first language), you are almost certainly smart enough to get As in humanities class at community college. I was a math major in UG and even the worst students in my upper-level classes got straight As in 100/200 level humanities classes. Honestly, I don't know a single successful math (or physics or chemistry) major that has struggled to do well in core humanities courses, and I know a lot of math majors.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

Oh, come on. Have you ever taken a community college class? They are absurdly easy. If you're a math major with a 3.8+ GPA (and English is your first language), you are almost certainly smart enough to get As in humanities class at community college. I was a math major in UG and even the worst students in my upper-level classes got straight As in 100/200 level humanities classes. Honestly, I don't know a single successful math (or physics or chemistry) major that has struggled to do well in core humanities courses, and I know a lot of math majors.

As long as you avoid the anti-grade inflation instructors who insist a B+ is a "strong grade." That's the scary thing about taking on extra classes at an institution you're not familiar with to attempt to inflate your GPA. Lots of ways to get pwnd.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

you sound dumb. I took many community college classes. There are professors who fancy themselves as "tough," and there are classes that are as difficult as classes at 4-year schools. Also, I know some idiot math majors. Your generalizations make you sound like you are about 17.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

LOL no.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

PBJones wrote:

Bildungsroman gets DESTROYED ITT.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:05 pm

you sound dumb. I took many community college classes. There are professors who fancy themselves as "tough," and there are classes that are as difficult as classes at 4-year schools. Also, I know some idiot math majors. Your generalizations make you sound like you are about 17.

The truth. I don't want to get involved in another "smartest kidz @college" discussion, but being good at one thing does not make you good at another, and I knew plenty of people in the sciences (especially actual Math majors, who typically don't develop the library skills humanities students require) that struggled in many humanities classes. As another poster mentioned, I had a history teacher that curved to a B- because that was how they did it when he went to school.

Look, community colleges are generally less rigorous than private elites, although--surprise!--many of the teachers you had at your large public are also community college teachers and they bring the same class to both. I actually support the OP's idea of finding a secondary institution that will grant A+'s (assuming his doesn't), but lets not act like it is a locked and done deal.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 pm

rayiner wrote:
PBJones wrote:

What?

haus

Postby haus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Also keep in mind that if you are going to be dropping in on some random school, you are likely to be missing out on the network that you likely have at your current school. Hence quality information on what professors are tough or easy is not going to be as easy to come by. Sure you may get lucky, and put together 5 A+, but stepping on a land-mine is a real possibility.

EDIT:

If memory serves, Cornell offers A+'s, and courses that are available online.

http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ws/courses/c ... STATUS&v=1

Happy Hunting,
Last edited by haus on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rayiner wrote:
PBJones wrote:

What?

You made some snarky comment implying that people with 3.6-3.8 are likely not to be able to get an A+ in a CC; got schooled when it was pointed out that the 3.6-3.8 was in a real major and the CC class was a bullshit one.

OP needs to watch out for the landmines (profs who don't give above an A-), but if he has the work-ethic to pull off 3.6+ in a real major, he's the favorite to pull out any A+ awarded in a CC humanities class.
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Even with the edit, I'm not sure if you're illiterate or just trolling.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

You also need to figure out how registration is going to work. Will your current UG allow you to simultaneously take online classes at a random CC and regular classes? Will your current UG accept those credits? They would still count towards your LSAC GPA but you might not have enough credits to graduate from your current UG.

If you're shooting for HYS you also need to think about how those schools will view your transcript. Yale and Stanford will actually look at it and probably ding you if you padded your GPA with some bullshit 100/200 level CC classes. Harvard probably doesn't care. But if your GPA (assuming all A's at your current UG from this point on) is close to median to begin with the smarter move is to clean up on the LSAT and get into Harvard as a relative splitter.

Gaming the system is always credited but in the circumstance you described the upside is limited.
Last edited by KibblesAndVick on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Even with the edit, I'm not sure if you're illiterate or just trolling.

I'll simplify:

You = GPA trolling.
Me = humanities majors trolling.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:07 pm

kwais wrote:you sound dumb.

Ditto.

kwais wrote:I took many community college classes.

And? You found them difficult? See above.

kwais wrote:There are professors who fancy themselves as "tough," and there are classes that are as difficult as classes at 4-year schools.

lol, please refer me to the specific community college intro-level humanities course you took that was as or more difficult than upper-level math classes at an accredited 4-year university. And by "more difficult" I (obviously) mean that a higher percentage of randomly-selected students would be capable of getting As in the MTH 400 course than they would in the HUM 101 class.

kwais wrote:Also, I know some idiot math majors. Your generalizations make you sound like you are about 17.

Did I say that all math majors are brilliant? No. What I said is that most people intelligent enough to excel in advanced mathematics programs at 4-year universities are also smart enough to get A's in 100-level community college humanities courses without exorbitant effort. Do you really want to dispute that?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 pm

vulpixie wrote:

Ditto.

kwais wrote:There are professors who fancy themselves as "tough," and there are classes that are as difficult as classes at 4-year schools.

lol, please refer me to the specific community college intro-level humanities course you took that was as or more difficult than upper-level math classes at an accredited 4-year university. And by "more difficult" I (obviously) mean that a higher percentage of randomly-selected students would be capable of getting As in the MTH 400 course than they would in the HUM 101 class.

kwais wrote:Also, I know some idiot math majors. Your generalizations make you sound like you are about 17.

Did I say that all math majors are brilliant? No. What I said is that most people intelligent enough to excel in advanced mathematics programs at 4-year universities are also smart enough to get A's in 100-level community college humanities courses without exorbitant effort. Do you really want to dispute that?

Holy fucking shit, is it possible you've gotten this far in life without realizing that, absent a mandatory curve, grading can be completely and totally arbitrary, and completely and totally disconnected from difficulty? "Capable of getting As" is a meaningless statement absent a mandatory curve.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

Ditto.

Holy fucking shit, is it possible you've gotten this far in life without realizing that, absent a mandatory curve, grading can be completely and totally arbitrary, and completely and totally disconnected from difficulty? "Capable of getting As" is a meaningless statement absent a mandatory curve.

Obviously both classes would need to be curved. I figured that was implied.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 pm

vulpixie wrote:
IAFG wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

Ditto.

Obviously both classes would need to be curved. I figured that was implied.

Obviously, why would they be called assumptions if I wasn't supposed to assume everyone knew them?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”