Undergraduate Major/Degree.. Need Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chelseapaige

Undergraduate Major/Degree.. Need Advice

Postby Chelseapaige » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello,
I am an undergraduate student that switched majors about three years in therefore it will take me 5-6 years to graduate instead of the traditional four. Do law schools look at that in a negative light?

Also, I plan on taking the LSAT next September (2013) to apply for law school in 2014. I should have graduated in 2012 so this puts me a total of two years behind. As far as the major I have a couple of options and am wondering what would be the best way to go. I keep asking multiple Professors/Advisors and end up hearing the same thing...It depends on how long you want to be here.

Option One- Double Major in Honors Psychology and Political Science with Minor in Biology (would grad in May 2013, but can't take LSAT till that following September therefore still two years behind but completed undergrad in 5 years)

Option Two- Dual Degree- Bachelor of Arts in Honors Psychology with minor in Biology and a second Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. This would take one semester longer (would have to go the following fall and grad in december of 2013) but I would have two degrees. Is it worth it? I still have to wait to take the LSAT, but im not sure if they look at how much time it takes to get the degrees.

Option Three-Dual Degree- Bachelor of Science* in Honors Psychology with minor in Biology and a second Bachelor of Arts in political Science. Here, instead of getting two arts degrees one would be Science. I was told by someone that BS is valued a little higher becuase of the extra math and science classes.

Overall, the dual degrees will take longer, but i dont want to rush and take this septembers LSAT so its either stay in school or have the year off in between. Are Dual Degrees better or not as good as the double major and minor all on one?

Sorry it's long,,thanks for any help!

Liquox

Re: Undergraduate Major/Degree.. Need Advice

Postby Liquox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

two years isn't bad at all when you consider that most schools have a 1L average age of 24.

don't think your dual degree will make much of a difference past your biology minor. if you're gpa is low, stay to raise it. if now, get out fast and get a high lsat score and you should be fine.

out of curiosity, which school(s) is/are you aiming for?

best of luck

soj

Postby soj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:09 pm

None of those are practical degrees, so do what's cheaper, easier, and more interesting. If your GPA sucks, consider doing a longer program to bump your GPA.

Chelseapaige

Postby Chelseapaige » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Liquox wrote:two years isn't bad at all when you consider that most schools have a 1L average age of 24.

don't think your dual degree will make much of a difference past your biology minor. if you're gpa is low, stay to raise it. if now, get out fast and get a high lsat score and you should be fine.

best of luck

I have a 3.60 gpa now so i was trying to raise it. I'm looking at the J.D./PhD in psychology programs offered at Arizona and NYU. It kinda all depends on my LSAT score, from there I was going to see if I had a chance at any of the top schools

soj

Postby soj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Unless you're extending UG to boost your GPA, you should graduate ASAP and do research (work in a lab) to improve your chances at getting into research psychology programs.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Who cares about the degree. For law school, its two numbers; GPA and LSAT. Max out both. Better yet, try the following on for size: If you don't or can't get a 170+ on the LSAT, fuck law school, and get a major for a real job. Profit.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Chelseapaige wrote:
Liquox wrote:two years isn't bad at all when you consider that most schools have a 1L average age of 24.

best of luck

I have a 3.60 gpa now so i was trying to raise it. I'm looking at the J.D./PhD in psychology programs offered at Arizona and NYU. It kinda all depends on my LSAT score, from there I was going to see if I had a chance at any of the top schools

3.6 isn't bad, especially if you manage a 170+ and early apps. good luck man

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”