3 Years Out of UG (4 by the time LS begins). No Prof Recs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andreskicdo

3 Years Out of UG (4 by the time LS begins). No Prof Recs?

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I have been in the real world for 3 years now with the same company (financial strategy for an big investment bank). I will have great recs from all the managers I have worked for the past 3 years as I have been the top ranked analyst in my group for 3 years in a row. (I have 3-5 potential recs - all very supportive as well). However, from college I only have one rec, which I managed to ask while still in college, from my thesis advisor. This was 3 years ago. Should I still submit that one, ask another professor even thought he/she will barely remember me, or just submit the professional recs?

Thanks for all your help!!

Lincoln

Re: 3 Years Out of UG (4 by the time LS begins). No Prof Recs?

Postby Lincoln » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:49 pm

If the recommendation from your thesis advisor is one that your advisor wrote then but that you now have, if I remember right you can't actually submit it yourself. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, TLS.) You could, of course, send it to your advisor and ask the s/he submits it again.

It's a pain, but you need one more academic LOR in addition to that one. Ask a TA or someone who would know you, rather than a prof from a big class. I was out of school for five years, so I know how hard it is, but you have little choice unless you want to it to count against you. Then use one or two from your job.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:16 pm

I disagree, Lincoln. For someone out of UG for 3+ years, one solid academic recommendation is fine (along with 2 employer recommendations). I have personal experience with this exact same scenario, and my cycle produced good results. There's a possibilty that it may hinder one's cycle, but I doubt it.

ringo

Postby ringo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Use the academic rec that you have (as Lincoln says, you'll need to get the prof to submit it herself).
Don't bother with a worthless rec from someone who doesn't remember you.
Don't bother applying to YLS without 2 academic recs.

I was out of school 4 years and submitted one academic LOR and one from my boss. I don't think it negatively affected my cycle.

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will go with two professional recs and the one from my thesis advisor (which is stored at school, so it would come directly from the university).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”