Married Couple Applying to top 20 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Greenandgold

Bronze

Re: Married Couple Applying to top 20

Post by Greenandgold » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 am

IAFG wrote:You need to re-take your LSAT. Your very good GPA just isn't quite good enough to be safe at the schools where your wife will likely get in (as in T14s). Bump that 169 to a 170-172 and you will both have much more doors open up. She doesn't really need to re-take, but if she does you could both have less student loan debt.
yea, I was gonna say, if y'all both upped your LSAT just a couple of points a completely different set of schools/scholarship opportunities opens up.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 am

Greenandgold wrote:
IAFG wrote:You need to re-take your LSAT. Your very good GPA just isn't quite good enough to be safe at the schools where your wife will likely get in (as in T14s). Bump that 169 to a 170-172 and you will both have much more doors open up. She doesn't really need to re-take, but if she does you could both have less student loan debt.
yea, I was gonna say, if y'all both upped your LSAT just a couple of points a completely different set of schools/scholarship opportunities opens up.
Besides that, she is not locked out of SCCN and he probably is. If they both ended up at GULC... Well. Suffice to say a re-take could improve the situation.

qou

New

Post by qou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 am

Wow lots of great replies! Sorry I passed out earlier last night =] We both registered for October for a retake We're both hoping for a 171-172 since even just 2 points seem to make a world of difference in admission/scholarships. We will spend the next month strengthening our weaknesses, thank you for the replies.

As someone posted about job placement earlier I'd like to touch on that abit; I really don't want to limit her options if she gets into a great school, and with a better score we have a higher shot of going together, and we're not opposed to a school ranked 14-20 though, either. GW would be a great school and while we would love a great job in DC (mostly DC) or NYC we're starting a family at the same time, so if a school offered a full scholarship we would probably take it, as long as it has above great job placement. The competitive students that we are, we still want to go to a top tier school, but more for the challenge and sense of accomplishment then the highest-echelon job placement.

I know GW has a great scholarship program for ED, are their any others that seem feasible with a retake and a +3 score?/
Again, really thank you all for your insightful dialog!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

GW, BU, and Northwestern all give full schollies to people who are admitted E.D.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 pm

qou wrote:Wow lots of great replies! Sorry I passed out earlier last night =] We both registered for October for a retake We're both hoping for a 171-172 since even just 2 points seem to make a world of difference in admission/scholarships. We will spend the next month strengthening our weaknesses, thank you for the replies.

As someone posted about job placement earlier I'd like to touch on that abit; I really don't want to limit her options if she gets into a great school, and with a better score we have a higher shot of going together, and we're not opposed to a school ranked 14-20 though, either. GW would be a great school and while we would love a great job in DC (mostly DC) or NYC we're starting a family at the same time, so if a school offered a full scholarship we would probably take it, as long as it has above great job placement. The competitive students that we are, we still want to go to a top tier school, but more for the challenge and sense of accomplishment then the highest-echelon job placement.

I know GW has a great scholarship program for ED, are their any others that seem feasible with a retake and a +3 score?/
GW would not be a great school once OCI rolls around. Please do spend some more time looking at the placement statistics of non-T14 T20s.

NYC and DC are lots of fun, but if you're both going to attend a school with good job placement in the same metro area, you gotta also throw your hat in for Stanford/Berkeley, UChi/NU, maybe even GULC/UVA. If I were in your shoes (with your current scores) I would NOT be comfortable with either of you EDing anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 pm

qou wrote:Wow lots of great replies! Sorry I passed out earlier last night =] We both registered for October for a retake We're both hoping for a 171-172 since even just 2 points seem to make a world of difference in admission/scholarships. We will spend the next month strengthening our weaknesses, thank you for the replies.

you two sound like a great couple. hope it works out.

i know gtown and uva give scholarships, uva with a promise of high gpa maintenance. with 171/2 and your gpa's you could probably get a hefty scholarship from gtown (some chick at my school got a 25k a year from gtown with that and a lower gpa than both of yours). try looking at lawschoolnumbers.com. many people who get money say so there. that way you can get a feel for what you can expect.

as a side note, if you both pull off a 171/2, ed's not a good idea since your numbers are high. see what offers you get. you might even be able to negotiate with some of the schools you get into.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

If you do consider EDing anywhere, you absolutely should call the admissions dean and ask them to not accept you ED if they aren't going to to take the other (presumably her) RD.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:47 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you do consider EDing anywhere, you absolutely should call the admissions dean and ask them to not accept you ED if they aren't going to to take the other (presumably her) RD.
Definitely do this if you ED. You'll have to sell yourself as a package. Meeting together with an admissions dean in person might also help if you visit the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”