Advice For An Undergraduate Student

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Huey Freeman

Advice For An Undergraduate Student

Postby Huey Freeman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks guys
Last edited by Huey Freeman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Re: Advice For An Undergraduate Student

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm

i have a similar degree (ECE) and the mixed degree has played well in interviews so far. i would do anything you can to get your overall gpa up, though, even if it means staying in school longer (you're on HOPE, i assume). a sub-3.0 gpa is going to make for an uphill battle, even with an EE degree from GTech.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Much of what you posted is actually spot-on. Engineering and particularly EE is a HUGE boost for IP, and at least here on the west coast that opens up a lot of jobs in SV and SD that are unavailable to non-engineer/non-science people. Computer engineering is probably just as desirable as EE right now.

You are correct also that if your GPA isn't all-that the T14 becomes more difficult to obtain regardless of difficulty of major or grade inflation. Schools want to keep their gap avg up for the USNWR rankings and those don't take those factors into account.

All that being said, as a freshman, why not pick a major that you like? To me, that would seem like a good step towards ensuring success, and if it starts out rough you can always switch.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Agree with above. TLS consensus is no buffer for a tough major. You're right that GPA is enormously important, but it's hard for me to recommend switching out of a major you have a passion for at a place you'll get a top-notch education. My advice is to stay in engineering and get a four point :wink:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

giuseppes12 wrote:Agree with above. TLS consensus is no buffer for a tough major. You're right that GPA is enormously important, but it's hard for me to recommend switching out of a major you have a passion for at a place you'll get a top-notch education. My advice is to stay in engineering and get a four point :wink:

yup. and whatever you do, don't take astronomy.

i would say stay in compE, do co-op, do the best you can gpa-wise and worry about law school when the time comes. you're at a great school and you'll end up fine. shit, i was a gatech engineering dropout and i ended up fine.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I wouldn't switch majors since there is no guarantee that in 4 years you'll still want to go to law school, and if you're passionate about your major now, I would stick with it.

I would only add...have some fun damn it, you're in college!

"Remember there is a time and place for everything, and it's called college."

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:20 pm

If you're really serious about law school, add a minor in a liberal arts subject that interests you and has a more generous curve. Try to max out your lib. arts classes and stick with the required engineering curriculum.

If you want to stick with engineering as a career this might be the exact opposite advice to take (I don't really know much about engineering recruitment).

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 pm

You can always major in liberal arts and take some minimum number of engineering courses. If you graduate and still want to law school, do that. Alternatively, get a masters in engineering and pursue that career path.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”