International transcripts to specific schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carbonara

International transcripts to specific schools?

Postby carbonara » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere -- I did not find in the forum search.

I did a school sponsored study abroad program for one semester my junior year. No grades factored into my gpa; the credits were merely transferred. They appear on the school-issued transcript as "study abroad - credit." I am confident that for LSAC purposes, I don't have to send a transcript. However, I am wondering if specific schools require international transcripts. I ask because in reading the Columbia app instructions, I noticed the following:

"...If you participated in summer sessions or studied abroad, you must send these transcripts directly to CAS, unless such courses and corresponding grades (italics mine) are also included in the other college transcripts being forwarded to the CAS."

On my transcript, no grades are indicated. I don't know if I should interpret the credit issued as a corresponding grade for these purposes, or if they need a separate transcript from the institution. The institution did issue grades (not on the standard US A-F scale, although they could be converted in some way, I suppose).

Any notion on a.) what the Columbia-specific approach is and b.) any other schools who will require foreign grades, LSAC requirements notwithstanding? Thanks!

carbonara

Re: International transcripts to specific schools?

Postby carbonara » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Update -- found the answer RE CLS in another thread. If anyone has thoughts on other schools that may have a more stringent requirement than LSAC, let me know. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”