Inappropriate? Submitting a column in application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oshberg28

Inappropriate? Submitting a column in application

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:55 pm

This is a pretty simple question, and I think I know the answer is going to be "no, don't do it." If one's personal statement centers around a specific event that helped shape the next six years of your life, and this event is one that you wrote a published column about in a school (University) newspaper, would it be a good or bad idea to send this column to the the law school admissions office?

I have never heard of anyone doing this (submitting something that is unsolicited), and thus, I don't think it would be a good idea. But maybe I'm wrong. It would certainly be bold, but that is often bad.

Thanks.

soj

Re: Inappropriate? Submitting a column in application

Postby soj » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 pm

No. Describe the event concisely in your PS if you want. If the column was particularly well written, maybe you could show it to your recommenders and they can mention it.

oshberg28

Re: Inappropriate? Submitting a column in application

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 pm

soj wrote:No. Describe the event concisely in your PS if you want. If the column was particularly well written, maybe you could show it to your recommenders and they can mention it.

This is precisely the response that I expected. Thanks.

And it was very well written; one of the heads of the Department of Journalism reached out to me and asked me to switch majors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”