Chicago Application Addendum - Diversity?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taf889

Chicago Application Addendum - Diversity?

Postby taf889 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone writing a diversity statement plan to include it as an addendum in their chicago app? It seems like the only one that doesn't specify diversity in their optional essays, so I'm planning not to.

cutecarmel

Re: Chicago Application Addendum - Diversity?

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:10 pm

taf889 wrote:Anyone writing a diversity statement plan to include it as an addendum in their chicago app? It seems like the only one that doesn't specify diversity in their optional essays, so I'm planning not to.

Don't include it unless they require it or say its optional. They have a lot to read and probably won't even glance at a statement that they didn't request from you.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:15 pm

What's the exact wording on the optional essays? Almost all schools solicit optional diversity essays in some way, so I'm surprised Chicago wouldn't. They did last year IIRC.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
taf889 wrote:Anyone writing a diversity statement plan to include it as an addendum in their chicago app? It seems like the only one that doesn't specify diversity in their optional essays, so I'm planning not to.

Don't include it unless they require it or say its optional. They have a lot to read and probably won't even glance at a statement that they didn't request from you.

I don't think this is right. If they don't read it, they don't read it. But it won't hurt you to add in a one page diversity statement.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

soj wrote:What's the exact wording on the optional essays? Almost all schools solicit optional diversity essays in some way, so I'm surprised Chicago wouldn't. They did last year IIRC.

It says: "Please use the additional addendum options to provide any additional information that you believe is important to the Admissions Committee's evaluation of your application. For example, you may use an addendum to discuss a disparity in multiple LSAT scores, any weaknesses or significant trends in your undergraduate record, or any other questions or issues that you believe may arise as the Committee is reviewing your record." Doesn't exactly sound like a DS...

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:37 pm

If your diversity statement is strong, attach it anyway. It falls under "any additional information that you believe is important to the Admissions Committee's evaluation of your application."

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 am

soj wrote:If your diversity statement is strong, attach it anyway. It falls under "any additional information that you believe is important to the Admissions Committee's evaluation of your application."

Agreed

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm

From the FAQ:
May I submit a diversity statement or “Why Chicago” essay?
You may, but please do so only when they are important to your application. Remember that you are trying to be concise and genuine.

We believe that the personal statement is a wonderful place to discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, etc.) that are significant to you. If you find that you cannot include these topics in your personal statement, you may submit an additional diversity statement.

taf889

Postby taf889 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:22 pm

very helpful. thanks, all.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 pm

if you have to choose, the "why uchi" essay would probably help you more. go read their website and news articles about them, and you should be able to write a great "why uchi"

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Liquox wrote:if you have to choose, the "why uchi" essay would probably help you more. go read their website and news articles about them, and you should be able to write a great "why uchi"

That's not true, at least in Chicago's case. Ann Perry herself was on the 180Live (Law School Mock Admissions) panel the weekend before last and said she isn't too interested in "Why UChi" essays. She said she knows all about Chicago and she wants to hear about you. Nothing you write about Chicago is going to be news to her.

Look at it like this. If you were the owner of the Yankees, would you rather draft a kid who loves the Yankees more than anyone on earth and can recite facts all day, but doesn't help the team, or would you rather draft a kid that can give you 40 homers and bat .325 for you? They want to hear about you and how you'll contribute to the school.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
Liquox wrote:if you have to choose, the "why uchi" essay would probably help you more. go read their website and news articles about them, and you should be able to write a great "why uchi"

That's not true, at least in Chicago's case. Ann Perry herself was on the 180Live (Law School Mock Admissions) panel the weekend before last and said she isn't too interested in "Why UChi" essays. She said she knows all about Chicago and she wants to hear about you. Nothing you write about Chicago is going to be news to her.

Look at it like this. If you were the owner of the Yankees, would you rather draft a kid who loves the Yankees more than anyone on earth and can recite facts all day, but doesn't help the team, or would you rather draft a kid that can give you 40 homers and bat .325 for you? They want to hear about you and how you'll contribute to the school.

good post

taf889

Postby taf889 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:38 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:

Good point, although I'm not sure the analogy holds as the Yankees don't have to worry about yield protection. Not that I'm worried about YP in this case, but I do believe they want to hear about why you would choose them if selected (maybe why they ask what other schools you're applying to).

Ultimately I agree that a diversity statement would be more useful, and your point on Ann Perry's statement is well-taken. I will probably write a diversity statement if anything. Thanks for your feedback.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm

taf889 wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

Good point, although I'm not sure the analogy holds as the Yankees don't have to worry about yield protection. Not that I'm worried about YP in this case, but I do believe they want to hear about why you would choose them if selected (maybe why they ask what other schools you're applying to).

Ultimately I agree that a diversity statement would be more useful, and your point on Ann Perry's statement is well-taken. I will probably write a diversity statement if anything. Thanks for your feedback.

You're welcome. Though, I think you're misinterpreting me as if I said a "Why" essay doesn't matter at all. I was just responding to Liquox's post that, if you had to choose, a "Why UChi" would be more helpful than a DS. If I were you I'd do both, but I'd keep the "Why" essay short and sweet letting them know that Chicago's a top choice of mine and not just telling them what they already know about the school.

And by the way, the Yankees do have to worry about YP. Players don't have to sign with the team they're drafted by :) (i.e., Strasburg and Harper almost did it, John Elway and Bo Jackson in football, Steve Francis in the NBA, etc). The "Why" essay is just icing on the cake, but it doesn't make up for a bad cake. But as you said, you shouldn't be worried about YP here with the #5 ranked school in the country.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm

sorry, should've rephrased. i meant to say a "why uchi" would help them figure out how you fit, as in research them and write about the self as someone that fits well.

triallawyer said it well: both are good depending on where you're coming from. the only reason i'm a little against writing a diversity statement for some is because uchi (and every other law school) has probably already heard every story from almost every perspective, and their diversity statement might not help separate them from the crowd as they had hoped

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”