Cornell and Chicago App Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ramsey

Cornell and Chicago App Question

Postby Ramsey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:07 am

1. Why Cornell
I have several particular reasons to apply to Cornell that probably exceed the 1000-character limit if written in sentences. Would it be okay to write them in bullet points?

2. Chicago app: there is a question on what other law schools I am applying... do I need to absolutely honest???
Last edited by Ramsey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yardbird

Re: Cornell and Chicago App Question

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Ramsey wrote:1. Study interrupted/Voluntary withdrawal
During my undergraduate years I left school for two years to work (no disciplinary action involved before/during/after). As I began working on the Cornell app, the first question of the Chracter and Fitness section asks if I have been "permitted to withdraw." I have already checked yes that my study has been interrupted for more than a semester, so it seems that if I check yes to this question I have to write two separate addenda for the same issue... or should I?

Read the C&F questions carefully, it only applies if you have had disciplinary action and were allowed to withdraw.

Ramsey wrote:2. Why Cornell
I have several particular reasons to apply to Cornell that probably exceed the 1000-character limit if written in sentences. Would it be okay to write them in bullet points?

Learn to be concise, bullet points would be bad. Keep your current Why Cornell full length statement for a LOCI later on in case you get WLed. 3-5 sentences should be enough for the 1000 characters.

Ramsey wrote:3. Chicago app: there is a question on what other law schools I am applying... do I need to absolutely honest???

Yes, list all of them.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Ramsey wrote:1. Study interrupted/Voluntary withdrawal
During my undergraduate years I left school for two years to work (no disciplinary action involved before/during/after). As I began working on the Cornell app, the first question of the Chracter and Fitness section asks if I have been "permitted to withdraw." I have already checked yes that my study has been interrupted for more than a semester, so it seems that if I check yes to this question I have to write two separate addenda for the same issue... or should I?

Read the C&F questions carefully, it only applies if you have had disciplinary action and were allowed to withdraw.

Thanks for the input!

But Cornell's wording for C&F is a bit different from that of other schools. The original question reads as: "Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary proceedings or been warned; placed on probation; dropped; expelled; or been asked or advised or permitted to withdraw; or been suspended for academic, nonacademic or any other reasons by any of the colleges..." It seems to me that disciplinary action is just one of the possibilities for saying yes to the question. Could you please explain why you think the question applies only if some kind of disciplinary action is involved?

Thank you for your help :)
Last edited by Ramsey on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 2014 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 pm

There was a debate about #3 in another recent thread. I am of the opinion that you don't need to list them all, rather you should just list a few peer schools you are applying to. You are filling this application out early and plans change so its not even unreasonable to think that if you do apply to more schools that you added them to your list later.

I personally just listed the other T14s I was applying to and I'll be at UChi this fall.

And re: the disciplinary question, I would check no and only submit one addendum. What you did was not really a withdraw it was a leave of absence and that question really doesn't seem intended for your situation. Furthermore, you have a totally reasonable explanation should it come up down the road for C&F, and you are disclosing it elsewhere anyway so you aren't hiding anything.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

The other schools question is always controversial on TLS.

Most likely, it won't affect your chances at all. Even if you omit some of the schools, the admissions committee knows most students apply to a combination of reaches, matches, and safeties, so they'll probably assume you're applying to more schools if you list just a few schools or don't list any.

Some people speculated that applicants with very high numbers might increase the risk of YP by listing HYS, but I don't know if their fears were confirmed. I think most people with HYS-level numbers did very well at Chicago last year, and many of them received the Rubenstein scholarship, including some people who I know listed the entire T6 (plus other T14s) on that question. If anything, omitting HYS might give the admissions committee the wrong impression that they won't need to give you the Ruby (or some other very high scholarship) to convince you to come. The few people I know who got into HYS but not Chicago tended to have low 3.8s and high 170s--expensive "splitters" below Chicago's GPA median. These applicants are highly sought after by HYSCN and therefore expensive to recruit, and not that great for Chicago's medians. I don't think these people could have helped their application by omitting HYS from that question, since who wouldn't apply to HYS with those numbers? Not fooling anyone.

Just as listing HYS might loosen the purse strings for applicants with high numbers, I think listing peer schools and lower-ranked T14 schools is a good way for people without HYS numbers to signal to the admissions committee that they'd better be prepared to compete for you with scholarships if they want you to attend. I think the only time I might not mention a school is if my numbers were clearly a better fit for a peer school's profile (e.g. 3.6/175 for CLS/NYU). Again, even then, it probably won't make a big difference.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:42 pm

@2014: Thanks for your help and congrats on Chicago!
I guess I want to be technically correct since my undergrad institute writes in its website that voluntary leave is a form of withdrawal and Cornell's C&F wording seems to suggest that any major decision that has resulted in my leaving school for an extended period of time must be addressed... I hope you are right that I don't need to submit an extra addendum. Plus, checking yes to C&F questions means that I have to submit a dean's certificate. I've asked the question via email to a dean at Cornell but haven't received a reply yet.

@soj: Thanks! Your reasoning makes sense. I guess I will just name a few in the range.
Last edited by Ramsey on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Call Cornell and ask.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Dany wrote:Call Cornell and ask.

I've emailed them. I prefer emailing to calling b/c time differences (I live in Asia), but I guess I will have to call them just to be on the safe side if I don't hear from them in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:43 pm

It looks to me like the other schools question on Chicago's app is optional, so according to this guy --LinkRemoved-- you shouldn't even answer the question...

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:57 pm

giuseppes12 wrote:It looks to me like the other schools question on Chicago's app is optional, so according to this guy --LinkRemoved-- you shouldn't even answer the question...

Thanks for posting that. I didn't realize schools were forced to include predetermined questions because of the flex app.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 am

giuseppes12 wrote:It looks to me like the other schools question on Chicago's app is optional, so according to this guy --LinkRemoved-- you shouldn't even answer the question...

Good link. Now that I think about it, the guy does bring some good points.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 pm

thanks for the link! I didn't know about the flex app thing, and the author's argument makes sense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”