168/international/superior GPA...ED questions!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mez4083

168/international/superior GPA...ED questions!

Postby mez4083 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:44 am

Hey all,
I plan to retake in Dec and get a score of 170+, hoping to increase my chances at T14
My problem is if I choose to ED, only my 168 will be considered.
So should I ED to a t10 or t14? I especially want to go to Virginia. Is it an ED friendly school?
Thx a lot :P

laura2011

Re: 168/international/superior GPA...ED questions!

Postby laura2011 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:28 am

tagging myself. also, do you guys think in that situation (168, international without GPA), is there any chance at all with GW ED? i know their ED numbers are quite high given the scholarship ...

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 am

If you get a 170+, why would you ED? Blanket the T14 and hope for some cash. There's no real reason to ED with apps being so low and schools having to reach into their waitlists (and still give applicants money!) to fill their seats. EDing is an excuse for schools to give you less/no money.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:41 am

tigershark wrote:If you get a 170+, why would you ED? Blanket the T14 and hope for some cash. There's no real reason to ED with apps being so low and schools having to reach into their waitlists (and still give applicants money!) to fill their seats. EDing is an excuse for schools to give you less/no money.

+1

Wait. Even a 170 would give you much better options.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am

laura2011 wrote:tagging myself. also, do you guys think in that situation (168, international without GPA), is there any chance at all with GW ED? i know their ED numbers are quite high given the scholarship ...

That's a full-tuition scholarship, right?

Internationals seldom (if ever) get full-tuition scholarships. I think the reason for this is simple: a US educated candidate can bump up a school's LSAT and GPA medians. An international candidate can only bump up the LSAT median.

It would also be very hard for an international to find a job with a GW degree. Only a small percentage of GW students get big law, and government jobs would be unavailable (because US citizenship is required). I'm guessing other employers that interact with the government would also be anxious about hiring non-citizens.

mez4083

Postby mez4083 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:54 am

tigershark wrote:If you get a 170+, why would you ED? Blanket the T14 and hope for some cash. There's no real reason to ED with apps being so low and schools having to reach into their waitlists (and still give applicants money!) to fill their seats. EDing is an excuse for schools to give you less/no money.

But ED will at least increase my chances at some "reach" schools, right?
Scholarship is not very important to me. If ED can help me getting into higher ranking schools, it is worth trying.

mez4083

Postby mez4083 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:55 am

laura2011 wrote:tagging myself. also, do you guys think in that situation (168, international without GPA), is there any chance at all with GW ED? i know their ED numbers are quite high given the scholarship ...

Why are you so interested in ED GW? I think with your numbers you can try better....

mez4083

Postby mez4083 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

+1

Wait. Even a 170 would give you much better options.

Thank u. But considering the Christmas, my Dec score will not be available until the new year. I am afraid that most admissions would have been sent at that time.

laura2011

Postby laura2011 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:26 am

thanks AntipodeanPhil, that's pretty much what I'd thought ...

mez4083, what schools are you thinking of? would love to get into higher schools of course but for me there are three criteria:
1) i'd really like to be in a bigger city which rules out a lot of the T20 schools already and the score is far too low for CCN of course (I think i'll apply to some schools in an attempt to gain some bargaining power for money but wouldn't really want to go)
2) i want to do a dual degree and GW's MA program is really good (GTown is better ranked both for the MA (first in the country), but getting into the MA at GTown is practically impossible for me; Northwestern would be in a large city but they don't offer the dual degree i want)
3) GW seems to be generous with schollys in comparison with other T20 schools and i'd need at least some money to pay for the whole thing ...

as for jobs, i'm not that interested in big law; rather looking at the public sector. a dual JD/MA from the US would actually give me pretty good employment chances in my home country (foreign ministry and such) and some international organizations might be interested in that as well

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”