Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm

@Samara, What I find really humorous is that you say I have a "superiority complex." Yet, you don't know me at all. You are the one personally bashing me for whatever reason pleases you. Do you not see how hypocritical and immature you look here? The internet lets people like you hide behind a screen and rant and remark on your own personal problems, get over it.

ams212
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Advice

Postby ams212 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm

I think this may be a really subtle troll, who set up his troll in the op, but didn't play his proverbial hand until a later post, but if this is sincere:

I, before researching the whole law school process, thought rigor of institution and program mattered, much in the same way you did. If you think it out though, not giving much stock to the institution is actually logical and fair, despite the fact that it's only done for US News purposes. While it may be harder to get an A at Berkeley than say an A- at UCLA, there is no quantifiable way to measure the difference. There is no reason for a school to judge a 4.0 student at UCLA's performance as less than a 3.7 at Berkeley. It is impossible to know if you would have gotten a 4.0 at UCLA, or if Imaginary Ike would have gotten a 3.7 at Berkeley. Why should law schools judge on hypotheticals, when they can judge on actual performance (vis a vis the LSAT and GPA)? Additionally, many very, very smart people go to state schools, because of financial considerations. I am one of those very, very smart people. Also, while you're class at Berkeley is probably more stacked with smart folks than UCLA's, I would be willing to major a guess that there is hardly any difference, if any, in intelligence at the very top of UCLAs' and Berkeleys' classes.

Also, you're a complete douche.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Advice

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:@Samara, What I find really humorous is that you say I have a "superiority complex." Yet, you don't know me at all. You are the one personally bashing me for whatever reason pleases you. Do you not see how hypocritical and immature you look here? The internet lets people like you hide behind a screen and rant and remark on your own personal problems, get over it.



BerkeleyBear wrote:I really hope admission committees take into account the rigor of the university in itself.

BerkeleyBear wrote:I am hoping to hear more insight from people who were actually admitted to law school, specifically with numbers similar to mine from a reputabe university.


BerkeleyBear wrote:Getting A's in a nobel laureates class when only 15 kids can get an A out of 300 has GOT to carry more weight then an A at CSU Sacramento


BerkeleyBear wrote:May I ask where you go to law school?


BerkeleyBear wrote:@Dany, are you a UCLA grad or something? I have no idea why people would take the time to respond something in a hostile manner. You sound really mature.



And FWIW, I'm pretty sure Dany goes to a law school you have no chance in hell of getting into.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm

@arms212, thanks for the input. This has been sincere, I'm sorry if I offended the state school kids. All of my comments have been valid, regardless to what others believe. I have no doubt in my mind that an A at Berkeley is harder to get that at a CSU. I'm not taking anything away from the state kids that get A's in courses. It's just a fact that the number of competitive students is way higher in all of our classes, and with the curve, it is 100% more difficult. It is just harder to get an A that's all I said. I compared myself in a HYPO with a state kid with the "same" stats. I said I thought I had a minute advantage, so what. You haven't been through my program so of course you attack me on a personal level. Of course there are just as many competitive, intelligent kids at UCLA, I never even brought up their program in the thread. Since you want to "troll", you couldn't use your HYPO scenario with a CSU instead of UCLA because you know you would have no credibility and look flat out silly. It's quite easy to tell who the defensive state school kids are.
Last edited by BerkeleyBear on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:15 pm

@itsalwayssunny, Cool story haha. I'm not even applying to the top 5 schools. I could care less about the rankings honestly as long as its t14. You obviously care a lot about rankings, funny you attack me for the exact same reason, only to say "And FWIW, I'm pretty sure Dany goes to a law school you have no chance in hell of getting into." Hypocrite much? Haha it doesn't bother me though, grow up.

ams212
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Advice

Postby ams212 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:@arms212, thanks for the input. This has been sincere, I'm sorry if I offended the state school kids. All of my comments have been valid, regardless to what others believe. I have no doubt in my mind that an A at Berkeley is harder to get that at a CSU. I'm not taking anything away from the state kids that get A's in courses. It's just a fact that the number of competitive students is way higher in all of our classes, and with the curve, it is 100% more difficult. It is just harder to get an A that's all I said. I compared myself in a HYPO with a state kid with the "same" stats. I said I thought I had a minute advantage, so what. You haven't been through my program so of course you attack me on a personal level. Of course there are just as many competitive, intelligent kids at UCLA, I never even up their program in the thread. Since you want to "troll", you couldn't use your HYPO scenario with a CSU instead of UCLA because you know you would have no credibility and look flat out silly. It's quite easy to tell who the defensive state school kids are.


You did mention UCLA in one post. Anyways, I don't make judgements on peoples' intelligence or worth based on where they go to school. What I says definitely applies at almost any school. I'm not defensive because I had every opportunity to go to a school as "prestigious" as yours, but financial and personal circumstances pretty much made my decision for me. I'm sorry bro, but with the arrogant, self righteous, prestige whoring attitude you reek of you won't get anywhere in life.

Also, I still think troll. Just because op is just so obnoxious.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

@arms212, I asked if someone went to UCLA. I did not bring up their program, as you used an example that made it seem like I was even calling the UCLA kids with easier classes. Sorry but you wont win the battle you are so upset about, and that is comparing the rigor of UCB/UCLA/UCSD to the lower tier UC's and CSU's. You can take whatever I said as you please haha. I already stated many people can be smarter at CSU'S and Junior Colleges too. The fact remains, it is tougher to get an A attending a class at Cal. It just is. Sorry to get your panties twisted in a bunch. Calling me a "troll" is pretty funny too. Shouldn't you be on youtube?

User avatar
Colonel Angus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Advice

Postby Colonel Angus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:26 pm

You realize that adcoms see aps from universities that are actually preftigous like buffalo, and you think your tttt school its gonna impress them?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Advice

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 pm

It's okay, BB. You're going to fit right in

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Advice

Postby shntn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm

ams212 wrote:Also, I still think troll. Just because op is just so obnoxious.

Obviously. This can't be real.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Advice

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm

shinton88 wrote:
ams212 wrote:Also, I still think troll. Just because op is just so obnoxious.

Obviously. This can't be real.

You weren't much different when you were spawned.

Scuppers
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 am

Re: Advice

Postby Scuppers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 am

Never before have I seen a troll try so hard for so little result.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:53 am

@Scruppers, Good luck at UCLA, if you can even get in. Let me know if you end up there or at UC Hastings hahaha.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Advice

Postby bmore » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 am

I don't think As in my rigourous honors program helped, and B+ in my honors course likely weren't treated any different than anyone elses B+'s. Just assume that it doesn't matter and if you get a little bump, good for you. People are trying to tell you what they believe to be the truth.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Advice

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 am

The EIC of LR at my T14 went to a CSU. One of the other top students went to Pacific. Two of the worst-performing students I've encountered here went to UCs; one to Cal. Neither of them have jobs. Get ready to have your preconceptions about the relative value of your undergrad destroyed.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Advice

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:09 pm

@bmore, thanks again, I see now that it really makes no difference where you went. I mean, at the end of the day, the schools are all competing for those numbers so UG seems irrelevant now. Thanks guys for the overwhelmingly correct responses steering me in the right direction. Sorry if I offended anyone. I can see how many would view this as "obnoxious" to them. I really was and am being sincere so I hope you can forgive me. I make many mistakes and I will learn from this one in particular.

@Lincoln, thank you for the input. To let everyone know, I was rejected from CSULB, I have nothing against the state schools at all and know that they too are taking just as rigorous of courses. I obviously don't know what all the schools are like and shouldn't be commenting on them. I was making judgments via hearsay from friends, my mistake.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Advice

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:@bmore, thanks again, I see now that it really makes no difference where you went. I mean, at the end of the day, the schools are all competing for those numbers so UG seems irrelevant now. Thanks guys for the overwhelmingly correct responses steering me in the right direction. Sorry if I offended anyone. I can see how many would view this as "obnoxious" to them. I really was and am being sincere so I hope you can forgive me. I make many mistakes and I will learn from this one in particular.

@Lincoln, thank you for the input. To let everyone know, I was rejected from CSULB, I have nothing against the state schools at all and know that they too are taking just as rigorous of courses. I obviously don't know what all the schools are like and shouldn't be commenting on them. I was making judgments via hearsay from friends, my mistake.

Keeping walking it back, buddy.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Advice

Postby helix23 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

I went to cal, was hella easy

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Advice

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Wait, do people really think Berkeley UG is impressive?

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Advice

Postby helix23 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm

yuh we invented nukes lol

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Advice

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:02 am

paratactical wrote:Wait, do people really think Berkeley UG is impressive?


might as well be Harvard to people in Cali.

except that any retard can get a 3.8 from a JC and transfer in (but maybe that's true for Harvard too)

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Advice

Postby Crowing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 am

paratactical wrote:Wait, do people really think Berkeley UG is impressive?


Well, I got accepted to Berkeley UG and I spent HS sleeping during the day and playing World of Warcraft at night so... No.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mangogreentea92 and 7 guests