What to do in year off between UG and Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
T14hoping

What to do in year off between UG and Law School

Postby T14hoping » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm

I should be graduating next spring/summer (2013), and I plan on taking the LSAT next October. Most of my efforts will have gone to protecting my GPA, which currently stands at around a 3.9-4.0. I'm praying that I can keep it there for this final year.

Once I graduate, I'll need to prep for the LSAT through the summer and early fall (I might do a Powerscore or Testmasters course), and I was thinking of just trying to substitute teach for $$$ during this period. Has anyone done this?

I'd like to get some actual work experience (not sure if temping counts in the eyes of potential firm employers or for law school admissions), but frankly I have no idea what my prospects would be for a full time office position with a Poli Sci degree, even if I do manage to graduate with a ~3.9-4.0. I also don't know if it is even feasible to take on a full time position with the intention of leaving for law school in 1-2 years. It also seems as though a full time professional position might divert my attention from the LSAT, and I'd hate to end up with a disappointing score after cultivating my GPA for law school.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

indo

Re: What to do in year off between UG and Law School

Postby indo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 pm

T14hoping wrote:I should be graduating next spring/summer (2013), and I plan on taking the LSAT next October. Most of my efforts will have gone to protecting my GPA, which currently stands at around a 3.9-4.0. I'm praying that I can keep it there for this final year.

Once I graduate, I'll need to prep for the LSAT through the summer and early fall (I might do a Powerscore or Testmasters course), and I was thinking of just trying to substitute teach for $$$ during this period. Has anyone done this?

I'd like to get some actual work experience (not sure if temping counts in the eyes of potential firm employers or for law school admissions), but frankly I have no idea what my prospects would be for a full time office position with a Poli Sci degree, even if I do manage to graduate with a ~3.9-4.0. I also don't know if it is even feasible to take on a full time position with the intention of leaving for law school in 1-2 years. It also seems as though a full time professional position might divert my attention from the LSAT, and I'd hate to end up with a disappointing score after cultivating my GPA for law school.

Apply to FTC. YOU great qualified for their Honor paralegal
Check this website

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/oed/hrmo/hpp/index.shtm

T14hoping

Postby T14hoping » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm

indo wrote:
T14hoping wrote:I should be graduating next spring/summer (2013), and I plan on taking the LSAT next October. Most of my efforts will have gone to protecting my GPA, which currently stands at around a 3.9-4.0. I'm praying that I can keep it there for this final year.

Apply to FTC. YOU great qualified for their Honor paralegal
Check this website

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/oed/hrmo/hpp/index.shtm

Thanks! This looks very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye out on USAjobs this winter.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks a ton for that link! I had no idea this program existed and it is exactly what I am looking for. :mrgreen:

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I got a job bussing/serving/catering. You'll have plenty of time to rot in an office after you finish law school, and what you do ultimately won't make a difference in admissions (maybe at Yale/NW/Berkeley a little) so do something you won't get the chance to do later.
Last edited by Triveal on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Just chill out and make sure to kill the LSAT (170+ for sure).

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:23 pm

I've been working at a law firm for the past year doing marketing. I told them when I interviewed that I was planning on going to law school so they know I'm leaving in about a year. At the time of my interview they were fine with it and I assume they're still fine with it (that or they've forgotten but I can't imagine they'd be upset about it). It's nothing too impressive, I doubt it'll matter much to an admissions committee but for me it's been nice just to be around lawyers and see what they actually do all day.

T14hoping

Postby T14hoping » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'm just paranoid about having no substantive WE going into law school, even though I know employment prospects are overwhelmingly a function of where you go to school and how well you do.

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am

after you take the LSAT, i would suggest working at any office (temp, internship) you can. nothing replaces work experience and i'm sure you'll enter law school more well rounded and ready to tackle different things that come your way.

best of luck.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

dissonance1848 wrote:Just chill out and make sure to kill the LSAT (170+ for sure).

doing nothing doesn't look very good.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”