Is this soft worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lock74

Is this soft worth it?

Postby Lock74 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 pm

I applied for a peer mentor position, which entails being a mentor for incoming freshmen and working with my university’s freshmen transition program. The position requires me to help with orientation and put in two hours a week in our freshmen introduction class. By being awarded the position, I was also given a small scholarship. The problem is that my university has a cap on the overall scholarship amount at full tuition plus room and board. I am currently at this full amount and planned to use the small scholarship from the mentor position to cover books and fees. I am also a student athlete and I am currently prepping for taking the LSAT in February. Is this soft worth it without the scholarship? Basically I would be working for free and the only benefit would be to bolster my resume/apps. Should I drop it and use the extra two hours a week for prep/other classes?

Samara

Re: Is this soft worth it?

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Negligible impact, if even that. The book money is more valuable than the app boost.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:22 pm

I did a similar thing (we called it orientation leader or something like that) in undergrad. I regret wasting my time, and I didn't even list it on my resume when I applied to LS.

LegalMikey

Postby LegalMikey » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Maybe not, but mentoring people might be fulfilling. Do it if you want to.

bananabanana

Postby bananabanana » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:55 pm

I think it is different. I would personally go for it. I think it all comes down to how you articulate it.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 pm

bananabanana wrote:I think it all comes down to how you articulate it.

To articulate it, he'd have to include it as a substantial portion of his application. Unless something amazing happens (which I doubt), it won't show up in an essay. That leaves the resume. Which it sounds is already packed with other interesting stuff.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect this to have a huge impact. If it was your only soft, and your resume is weak without it, go for it. If your resume is already strong, the extra time/week to study would probably be more useful.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:00 pm

LegalMikey wrote: Do it if you want to.

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I have about week to decide and the program director is actually working with me to get me some kind of money but it is unlikely. I hate to be this way but it will probably come down to if the university will help me with some books and fees.

Btw my resume would be considered average for most t14 schools. The only things that really stand out is being a student athlete(football) ,a couple of departmental awards, and semi interesting part time work experience at a funeral home. I do have the possibility though of adding several awards to my resume through football and grades. I am currently in the process of setting up a internship for this upcoming summer with a DA so hopefully if I do end up letting this slide that it won't take away from my app.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Your resume is already great. Your numbers are what matter now.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:40 pm

It'd better be a really good cause if I'm going to work for basically free to do the same thing others are doing for pay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”