LoR questions, help needed!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lingon

LoR questions, help needed!

Postby Lingon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

I find the LSAC website confusing. Can someone help me with these two questions?

1. I intend to ask for general LoRs from my recommenders, i.e. not specific for particular schools. Do I have to print separate Transcript Request Forms and have my recommenders attach separate LoRs? Couldn’t I just print one Transcript Request Form for each recommender? He/she can then attach one LoR and send to LSAC which can then make copies of the Transcript Request Form and LoR and send to each school. OR, do I have to print like 10 Transcript Request Forms and have each recommender attach 10 identical LoR?

2. If I don’t get in to the schools I want or end up not applying for whatever reason, can I use the same LoRs in a later cycle or do I have to request new LoRs and repeat the entire process?

BTW, where do I find a simple, comprehensive guide about the application process to law school?

Thanks!

specialsnowflake

Re: LoR questions, help needed!

Postby specialsnowflake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 am

1. Use an individual request form for each LOR.

2. You can use the same again next cycle.

Lingon

Postby Lingon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 am

specialsnowflake wrote:1. Use an individual request form for each LOR.

In other words, if I am applying to 10 schools, I need 10 request forms and ten LoRs from each recommender?

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:58 am

Lingon wrote:

In other words, if I am applying to 10 schools, I need 10 request forms and ten LoRs from each recommender?

Nope. You need as many request forms as LOR's you are going to have. So if you have three professors writing you a LOR, then you need three request forms. Your professor will then send the LOR with that request form and LSAC will store your LOR and you can select it for any school. Though, if you are going to have LOR's specifically directed at each school then you will need to send each of those with it's own request form.

Sorry if that's confusing, let me know if it clears things up for you :)

Lingon

Postby Lingon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

specialsnowflake wrote:
Lingon wrote:

Nope. You need as many request forms as LOR's you are going to have. So if you have three professors writing you a LOR, then you need three request forms. Your professor will then send the LOR with that request form and LSAC will store your LOR and you can select it for any school. Though, if you are going to have LOR's specifically directed at each school then you will need to send each of those with it's own request form.

Thanks, that makes sense. Btw, is it common to have professors write LoRs for specific schools? I just intend having my recommenders write general LoRs.

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:42 am

Lingon wrote:
specialsnowflake wrote:
Lingon wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense. Btw, is it common to have professors write LoRs for specific schools? I just intend having my recommenders write general LoRs.

I don't think it's common. I have general LOR's.

Lingon

Postby Lingon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 am

Wow, I've been so caught up in LS apps that I wrote "Transcript Request Form" instead of "Letter of Recommendation Form". Time to take a break I guess...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”