Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Start applying in September or wait until scores come back?

Apply in September when PS and Ls of R are ready
1
9%
Apply in late October when LSAT scores come back.
10
91%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
Elahrairah
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 am

Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby Elahrairah » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 am

I am registered to retake the the LSAT in October, but every other part of my application will be ready within weeks. I want to avoid winding up at the back of the line, but a) I'm not sure I can avoid it given that I won't have a complete application till the end of October and b) I don't want to be assessed according to my previous LSAT score.

Should I open applications and fill out everything I can as soon as possible or wait until I can complete my applications to do anything?

Sorry if this is a beginner's question — I am a beginner.

User avatar
Elahrairah
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby Elahrairah » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:14 am

Just for the record, I'll be applying to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown at least.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 am

what's your current LSAT score?

I'd probably wait. There's really no appreciable difference between applying in September and any other time before Halloween, or even Thanksgiving

User avatar
Elahrairah
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby Elahrairah » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:21 am

168. I know that Cornell and Harvard like to send out acceptances in November and the Early Decision deadlines for Columbia and NYU come on November 15th. Waiting wouldn't hurt me?

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby sharktankdean » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 am

Waiting till October will definitely NOT hurt you. October is still considered early.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

sharktankdean wrote:Waiting till October will definitely NOT hurt you. October is still considered early.

Yeah I agree. I did my apps after the October LSAT and things ended up exactly as they usually do for people with my numbers.

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby Psib337 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 am

I'm retaking the October LSAT and I'm just gonna wait until scores come back and just have everything ready to go by then. I don't want anyone looking at me with just my current LSAT score, I feel like if I applied in September I'd wind up with rejection letters the week after the LSAT. I may wait another week or so for fee waivers but ideally I'd like to have everything in at every school I'm applying to by November 5th which I hear is still considered early. The generally feeling I got around here is that you're applying late when you apply after the holidays.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am

Elahrairah wrote:I am registered to retake the the LSAT in October, but every other part of my application will be ready within weeks. I want to avoid winding up at the back of the line, but a) I'm not sure I can avoid it given that I won't have a complete application till the end of October and b) I don't want to be assessed according to my previous LSAT score.


You can't avoid it - you won't get put in line until your application is complete. Even if everything is there but your retake LSAT score, your application will be considered to have been submitted/gone complete when that October score comes in.

However, applying with that October score isn't late, so I wouldn't worry too much.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 am

Psib337 wrote:I'm retaking the October LSAT and I'm just gonna wait until scores come back and just have everything ready to go by then. I don't want anyone looking at me with just my current LSAT score, I feel like if I applied in September I'd wind up with rejection letters the week after the LSAT. I may wait another week or so for fee waivers but ideally I'd like to have everything in at every school I'm applying to by November 5th which I hear is still considered early. The generally feeling I got around here is that you're applying late when you apply after the holidays.

there's a part of the app that asks whether you have any future LSAT test dates. If you say yes, they won't really do anything with your app until score release.

mez4083
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 am

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby mez4083 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:05 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Psib337 wrote:I'm retaking the October LSAT and I'm just gonna wait until scores come back and just have everything ready to go by then. I don't want anyone looking at me with just my current LSAT score, I feel like if I applied in September I'd wind up with rejection letters the week after the LSAT. I may wait another week or so for fee waivers but ideally I'd like to have everything in at every school I'm applying to by November 5th which I hear is still considered early. The generally feeling I got around here is that you're applying late when you apply after the holidays.

there's a part of the app that asks whether you have any future LSAT test dates. If you say yes, they won't really do anything with your app until score release.


What if I plan to retake on Dec? Will it be too late?
I have the same LSAT score,168. And I am still thinking about whether to finish all my apps in Sep or wait until my December score come out.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Apply → Retake? Or Retake → Apply?

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:49 am

If you apply after December scores come out you won't hear back until March/April in some cases and might face more WLs than you would normally, but if it means even a 2 point increase in your case it is totally worth it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crookedsmile, LewD33, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests