Why does Lsac wait for schools to request reports?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sprocket

Why does Lsac wait for schools to request reports?

Postby sprocket » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm just curious, what is the rationale behind LSAC waiting for a school to request a report instead of sending it at the same time as the application? Is it so that the school can review the applicants' softs before making a numbers based decision?

Considering that prospective JDs either pay for the report at the same time as they submit the app online or pay LSAC exclusively when they submit a paper app, shouldn't they just submit it as soon as the customer orders it?

That's just my opinion, and I'm open to other points of view. I'm also a splitter, so if it's to emphasize my softs then yay. But, I think any other reason is just inefficient. Also, as a splitter I'd be depending on the "get your entire application in early" mantra. :|

Yardbird

Re: Why does Lsac wait for schools to request reports?

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 pm

sprocket wrote:I'm just curious, what is the rationale behind LSAC waiting for a school to request a report instead of sending it at the same time as the application? Is it so that the school can review the applicants' softs before making a numbers based decision?

Considering that prospective JDs either pay for the report at the same time as they submit the app online or pay LSAC exclusively when they submit a paper app, shouldn't they just submit it as soon as the customer orders it?

That's just my opinion, and I'm open to other points of view. I'm also a splitter, so if it's to emphasize my softs then yay. But, I think any other reason is just inefficient. Also, as a splitter I'd be depending on the "get your entire application in early" mantra. :|

Initial application creates a file for you. Recommendations, grades and scores are easier to file after they have something to file it in. Just my thoughts.

Also, the schools might have to process the application fees first (and LSAC its fee).

rinkrat19

Re: Why does Lsac wait for schools to request reports?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I don't know exactly what the system looks like from the school's end, but I would assume that someone in the admissions office logs into LSAC and then has the option of downloading a big-ass batch of applicant files in one go. (And then next time they log in, they can download all the apps added/changed since their last login.) If they got each one in a separate email, or had to log in separately every time one more applicant finished their app, a lot of applications would get lost in the shuffle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”