Would you go to law school in my situation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bankrupt257

Would you go to law school in my situation?

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 am

If you have a strong chance of landing a job in corporate America (think Microsoft, Pfizer, Coca Cola, etc) with advancement opportunities in a field where according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there is a 41% need for the job in the next 10 years (with about 2000 open positions globally at the moment)

-And-

I have a 2nd Graduate degree (MS in Economics) that I deferred till Fall 2013 (if i bow out of the graduate program I am in now or dont go to law school - I am decent at math)

Would you go to law school? I am interested in practicing law and my end game is politics...Whereas the other two directions I could go in, would lead me either to be a Corporate Cog making 100k+ by 30 (not really 100% happy with it :( ) or getting a MS in Economics and trying to fight my way into consulting/banking/public policy or becoming and economic/history teacher/community college prof?

I dont want to disclose personal info, so if you have personal questions, PM me. But would you go to law school? What would be your ranking/school cut off?

top30man

Re: Would you go to law school in my situation?

Postby top30man » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 am

It depends on which school. If you have a stable career with room for advancement I'd stick with that unless you have great options.

Bgibbs

Postby Bgibbs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:24 am

top30man wrote:It depends on which school. If you have a stable career with room for advancement I'd stick with that unless you have great options.

TCR

I wouldn't give that job up for anything but T14 schools (or something like Texas with a huge scholarship if you're from there), and depending on the starting salary I might want a scholarship at the lower T14 (below T6 + Penn for me) to convince me to take the risk. Due to the salary structure of the law profession you'd pretty much have to be biglaw or bust to have better initial career prospects than what you currently have, and that would come at the cost of 3 years of lost wages and potentially major debt. If you would be really unhappy at your current job that is definitely something to consider, but it'll be a risk economically.

How familiar are you with the actual day to day work experience for a lawyer? Know what you'd be getting yourself into.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:03 am

Bankrupt257 wrote:If you have a strong chance of landing a job in corporate America (think Microsoft, Pfizer, Coca Cola, etc) with advancement opportunities in a field where according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there is a 41% need for the job in the next 10 years (with about 2000 open positions globally at the moment)

-And-

I have a 2nd Graduate degree (MS in Economics) that I deferred till Fall 2013 (if i bow out of the graduate program I am in now or dont go to law school - I am decent at math)

Would you go to law school? I am interested in practicing law and my end game is politics...Whereas the other two directions I could go in, would lead me either to be a Corporate Cog making 100k+ by 30 (not really 100% happy with it :( ) or getting a MS in Economics and trying to fight my way into consulting/banking/public policy or becoming and economic/history teacher/community college prof?

I dont want to disclose personal info, so if you have personal questions, PM me. But would you go to law school? What would be your ranking/school cut off?

lol

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 am

No.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 am

Bgibbs wrote:
top30man wrote:It depends on which school. If you have a stable career with room for advancement I'd stick with that unless you have great options.

TCR

I wouldn't give that job up for anything but T14 schools (or something like Texas with a huge scholarship if you're from there), and depending on the starting salary I might want a scholarship at the lower T14 (below T6 + Penn for me) to convince me to take the risk. Due to the salary structure of the law profession you'd pretty much have to be biglaw or bust to have better initial career prospects than what you currently have, and that would come at the cost of 3 years of lost wages and potentially major debt. If you would be really unhappy at your current job that is definitely something to consider, but it'll be a risk economically.

How familiar are you with the actual day to day work experience for a lawyer? Know what you'd be getting yourself into.

I would say I am pretty knowledgeable on the day to day practice of a lawyer. I guess I understand what your saying too. Thats good stuff.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 am

dingbat wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:If you have a strong chance of landing a job in corporate America (think Microsoft, Pfizer, Coca Cola, etc) with advancement opportunities in a field where according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there is a 41% need for the job in the next 10 years (with about 2000 open positions globally at the moment)

-And-

lol

Its true. Scarcity of Talent = Higher salaries. People pay for math and computer science talent (which I have).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

Bankrupt257 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

-And-

lol

Its true. Scarcity of Talent = Higher salaries. People pay for math and computer science talent (which I have).
A first year biglaw associate makes $160k, and there are quite a few under 30. Now go figure why I lolled.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:27 am

Oh, I thought you were laughing because you did not believe my claim.lol

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 am

sunynp wrote:No.

TITCR

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 am

Bankrupt257 wrote:Oh, I thought you were laughing because you did not believe my claim.lol

:lol:

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 pm

I would not go to law school if it wasn't t-14 or above and I definitely wouldn't go if I was not sure I wanted to go at all. There's a risk involved in law school. You might be stuck with a shit ton of debt and no employment prospects whatsoever after it's over.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm

sunynp wrote:No.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm

No. Law school is for people who can't get anything better.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:15 am

Danteshek wrote:No. Law school is for people who can't get anything better.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 am

BuckinghamB wrote:

Sadly, this.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 am

romothesavior wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Sadly, this.

give me a break.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 am

romothesavior wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Sadly, this.

lol, yep more or less. Actually, for the best of ppl who can't get any better though lol.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 am

PaulKriske wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Sadly, this.

give me a break.

Relax dude, I'm sure its not true for everyone. But it does describe a HUGE portion of law students, including myself to some degree. I certainly would have waited on law school if I had a decent job offer after undergrad, and I know a lot of other people in the same boat. No need to get your panties in a bunch over some honest law student self-deprecation.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:45 am

romothesavior wrote:Relax dude, I'm sure its not true for everyone. But it does describe a HUGE portion of law students, including myself to some degree. I certainly would have waited on law school if I had a decent job offer after undergrad, and I know a lot of other people in the same boat. No need to get your panties in a bunch over some honest law student self-deprecation.

i feel sorry for your lot.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:56 am

No. Nevertheless, it really depends upon the law school in question & the total COA.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

PaulKriske wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Relax dude, I'm sure its not true for everyone. But it does describe a HUGE portion of law students, including myself to some degree. I certainly would have waited on law school if I had a decent job offer after undergrad, and I know a lot of other people in the same boat. No need to get your panties in a bunch over some honest law student self-deprecation.

You also ignore the fact that giving up on a solid career to go to law school is an objectively bad financial and career decision 95% of the time. Unless you go to an elite school, its an enormous gamble.

Why are you so sensitive about this? Appreciate your sympathy though.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PaulKriske wrote:

You also ignore the fact that giving up on a solid career to go to law school is an objectively bad financial and career decision 95% of the time. Unless you go to an elite school, its an enormous gamble.

i'm not ignoring that at all. but to treat the legal profession as a shitty if-all-else-fails backup comes across as ridiculous.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 pm

PaulKriske wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PaulKriske wrote:

i'm not ignoring that at all. but to treat the legal profession as a shitty if-all-else-fails backup comes across as ridiculous.

You really need to check out the crowd at Albany or Javitz on the day of the NY bar exam. Truly a pathetic bunch.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”