international summer school.... factor into LSDAS gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
domori

international summer school.... factor into LSDAS gpa?

Postby domori » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I spent two miserable summers abroad taking 9 credits each summer at a foreign university thinking the grades would factor into LSDAS gpa.
However after doing some research here, it doesn't seem like they will - although I'm still not clear how this works - can someone clarify this for me?

First summer, I took 3 courses - 9 credits - they show up on my US college transcript without grades - it simply states that I took these three courses at a foreign university.
Second summer, I also took 3 courses - 9 credits - they don't show up on my US college transcript because, well, I didn't need them for my graduation requirement, and I didn't bother filling out paperwork to my US college thinking I just need to send the transcript from the foreign university straight to LSDAS.

I did get stellar grades from all 6 courses, so I really want them to count towards my LSDAS gpa - do you guys think they will?

p.s. I already sent my US college transcript to LSDAS and grades summary has been produced.

nickb285

Re: international summer school.... factor into LSDAS gpa?

Postby nickb285 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Contact LSAC to confirm, but they likely will not. This is the response I got from an inquiry about study abroad grades:

"As your coursework at [overseas university] was not the equivalent of more than a year of U.S. or Canadian study you are not required to have your transcript from that institution sent to us.

If you chose to have your international transcript sent to us despite the requirement, have the transcript mailed directly from your international school to: LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 8502, Newtown, PA 18940-8502, USA.
A copy of the international transcript will be included in your law report along with a letter explaining that because the transcript does not contain the equivalent of more than one year of U.S. or Canadian study, no evaluation was done of the transcript.
Please note that the letter and the copy of the international transcript will only be included in the law school reports for law schools that participate in authentication and evaluation of international transcripts through our Credential Assembly Service."

Since you took a total of 18 credit hours (I'm assuming 30 hours is the standard of a year equivalent) the transcript will not be included in the LSAC GPA. You should still send it in though, that way it will be sent to the schools to which you apply.

domori

Postby domori » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm

that was my understanding too... but this post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56945&start=25 and what member im_blue said seems to say otherwise....

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, it's worth asking, especially since your grades would help your GPA. It's also possible that the rules have changed since that thread was active. Send in your transcript either way, and check with LSAC about getting it counted toward your total GPA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”