ED-Friendly T-14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Frodo

Bronze

ED-Friendly T-14

Post by Mr. Frodo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I plan on EDing this fall somewhere in the T14. I'm leaning to Penn for a variety of reasons.

My question is which of the T14 give the greatest ED boost? From the one Penn law student I've talked to on campus, he ED'd with a 167 and got in (with substantial need grants to boot). I've also heard UVA gives a good boost to ED applicants too. At Penn, EDing would reduce my likelihood of merit $$, but it would not affect need-based grants, correct? Does this hold true for applying EDing at any school that meets 100% of need?

Thanks.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: ED-Friendly T-14

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Most schools do not give merit scholarships, the exceptions being HYS.
UVA is easily the biggest ED boost, but I think it's a little bit subject to your specific situation. For instance, if you have a 169 and slightly below UVA's gpa median, NYU could conceivably make more sense, because ED applicants do best when they maintain or lift a median

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

There are a few cases where EDing makes sense.

If your GPA is around 3.4, but your LSAT is above 172, it makes sense to ED to NYU.
If your GPA is around 3.1-3.2, and your LSAT is above 172, it makes sense to ED to UVA.
If you want to work in DC area/a federal job that may not actually require bar admission, want to go to school for free or close to it, or otherwise are in a situation where you have a guaranteed job once you graduate, it makes sense to ED to George Washington. (With around a 170+ and a 3.7+)

Does anyone know if NU is going to keep their full ride with ED? That was easily one of the best deals around.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean "merit" scholarships per say, but like "named" scholarships covering a set fee or % of COA. So EDing does not affect need-based grants?

Since ED works best if you lift a median, what if you're sitting on 166+ with a 4+ GPA? My GPA surpasses all 75% values (and isn't an easy major). In the case of having a GPA this high, does it mean that you can get away with a lower LSAT if you ED? This seems to be what I've found from research on LSN, LSP, and talk to Penn students.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:There are a few cases where EDing makes sense.

If your GPA is around 3.4, but your LSAT is above 172, it makes sense to ED to NYU.
If your GPA is around 3.1-3.2, and your LSAT is above 172, it makes sense to ED to UVA.
If you want to work in DC area/a federal job that may not actually require bar admission, want to go to school for free or close to it, or otherwise are in a situation where you have a guaranteed job once you graduate, it makes sense to ED to George Washington. (With around a 170+ and a 3.7+)

Does anyone know if NU is going to keep their full ride with ED? That was easily one of the best deals around.
looks like yes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean "merit" scholarships per say, but like "named" scholarships covering a set fee or % of COA. So EDing does not affect need-based grants?

Since ED works best if you lift a median, what if you're sitting on 166+ with a 4+ GPA? My GPA surpasses all 75% values (and isn't an easy major). In the case of having a GPA this high, does it mean that you can get away with a lower LSAT if you ED? This seems to be what I've found from research on LSN, LSP, and talk to Penn students.
yes. Looks like a 168 got in ED, and a 164 got WL>A from ED.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:25 pm

OP what are your numbers, can't give useful advice without them.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Yeah, see, if you have a 4.0+, take the LSAT over and over again (even if that means sitting out this cycle) until you get CCN$/HYS. Don't ED to Penn.

General rule is, if you ED, you're taking out 250k~ in debt.

Also, awesome that NU is bringing out full ride ED again. This will make a few people very happy, I'm sure.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:08 pm

slack_academic wrote:That Northwestern ED scholarship is amazing. What's the catch? Why aren't more people all over this?
The catch is that the numbers you need to be competitive for it would probably net you 90k at CCN, thus making it less of a no brainer. They aren't exactly letting in their standard 2.8/176 splitters via ED.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:14 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Most schools do not give merit scholarships, the exceptions being HYS.
UVA is easily the biggest ED boost, but I think it's a little bit subject to your specific situation. For instance, if you have a 169 and slightly below UVA's gpa median, NYU could conceivably make more sense, because ED applicants do best when they maintain or lift a median
I suppose we should agree to disagree about this. I EDd to NYU and received a merit scholarship (considering my parents' finances, there is zero chance that my dean's scholarship was need-based).

I have several other friends receiving merit scholarships from other T-14 schools. Why do you say only HYS offers these?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

If you're on the outside of CCN with big money (i.e, 171 3.8), and the best you'll get is 75k at Michigan/Duke , I'd say full ride at NU is definitely TCR.

edit> although sort of irrelevant, since we still don't know OP's stats.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:52 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Most schools do not give merit scholarships, the exceptions being HYS.
I suppose we should agree to disagree about this. I EDd to NYU and received a merit scholarship (considering my parents' finances, there is zero chance that my dean's scholarship was need-based).

I have several other friends receiving merit scholarships from other T-14 schools. Why do you say only HYS offers these?
:lol: typo.

I meant that HYS are the ONLY need-based and that the rest are mostly if not purely merit-based.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 pm

2014 wrote:
slack_academic wrote:That Northwestern ED scholarship is amazing. What's the catch? Why aren't more people all over this?
The catch is that the numbers you need to be competitive for it would probably net you 90k at CCN, thus making it less of a no brainer. They aren't exactly letting in their standard 2.8/176 splitters via ED.
It wasn't quite that difficult this year. Most of the people that got into NU ED would not really have been competitive for the big scholarships at CCN. More like 45-60K-type numbers.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Georgetown offers need based grant aid in addition to Harvard, Yale & Stanford. Georgetown's need based grant aid is available to transfers as well as to first year law students. Georgetown even offers need based grant aid to part-time law students according to the GULC profile on TLS.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:29 pm

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:48 pm

slack_academic wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
2014 wrote:
It wasn't quite that difficult this year. Most of the people that got into NU ED would not really have been competitive for the big scholarships at CCN. More like 45-60K-type numbers.
Do you guys know if their preference for work experience still applies to ED candidates?
I would assume that it still plays a role. I think NU wants WE, LSAT, and gpa. Make sure you have two of the three. The sample size of ED candidates that got in was really small though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”